very simple cisco switch question

hi guys why is it after i telnet into my cisco switch (3500) if i press "Set ?" it says "unrecognized command"

ive tried this:

conf t line vty 0 4 password Cisco Login exit

what am i doing wrong? the reason im doing this is to "set mls enable" ....

thanx in advance Mina

Reply to
mina.moussa
Loading thread data ...

set is a catos switch command. Both of the 35xx switch lines from Cisco run IOS.

IOS switch code runs mls transparently.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Did you input "enable" to enter priviledge exec mode?

Reply to
rogerz

telnet into my cisco switch (3500) if i

I believe MLS is enabled by default, and the proper syntax on a per interface basis is:

conf t int mls ip or no mls ip

If this is for QoS purposes, the commands are no mls qos or mls qos.

See section under "interface characteristics"

formatting link
Here is the config guide for the 3550, and the 3560
formatting link

Reply to
Trendkill

firstly this is an excellent forum, very quick replies, okay lets just takle the first problem:

ive typed in "enable" and have gone into enable mode, and see the "Set" option when i type "?" but when I try use the "set" option it'll always say its unrecognized. I'd like to get the set command to work so i can use it for other purposes too ...

we'll then go into why mls isnt working if i type conf t, int (this works then i type: ) mls qos (

Reply to
mina.moussa

ive set the mls priority through cisco network assistant for now by going:

ports> port settings> then setting 802.1p priority to 6 as this is the priority i would like voice to have when leaving the port.

but i defenitly want to knoww why i cant simply follow guides that display the "set" command from cisco documentation... why is set not working?

im now trying to do this :

(enable) set port auxiliaryVLAN 5/1-48 110

taken from:

formatting link

Reply to
mina.moussa

formatting link
Because the example is using a Catalyst 6500 running Cat OS. Completely different operating system.

Reply to
Brian V

Yes, in short there are two OSes for switches. Catalyst is the older code that is on some of the more enterprise class switches, and IOS which is the same basic OS that is on routers. Cisco is gradually moving to IOS for everything, and enterprise class switches (like

6500) have code sets for both (native ios = ios, hybrid = ios on msfc/ router and catalyst code on switch side). So to answer your question, you need to find the config or command guide for your specific switch and specific code level. It appears that you are going off of a catalyst guide or information, and your switch is an IOS based switch such as a 2900, 3500. Hope this helps.
Reply to
Trendkill

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.