Very simple hotspot

The problem is that I'm new to wireless and I want to set up a very simple hotspot in a cafe, so I was wondering if a Wireless ADSL router (with DHCP) could do the trick, because all I really need is to provide free Internet access to one or maybe two users at a time, without measuring time or traffic. I was also thinking whether there is any chance of connecting my TP-LINK TD8811 ADSL router (via LAN cable) directly to an AccessPoint (without using a computer or an additional router), so I wouldn't have to use a Wireless ADSL router.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
McY
Loading thread data ...

• I'm not familiar with TP-LINK ADSL router specifically, but if it does DHCP for multiple computers it should work just fine. If you plug its LAN port into an actual Access Point it should work fine. If you plug it into an AP/Router then use one of the LAN ports not the INTERNET/WAN port. Turn off DHCP in the configuration of Access Point or AP/Router if it's available and ON. The default is ON, turn it OFF.

If you do use an AP/Router you will be able to expand this thing. The built-in hub/switch ports will enable you to connect other wired PCs as well as to add additional APs if needed. Make sure you enable and use security. Preferred is WPA. If you end up with too many clients with older laptops or wireless cards you may have to use WEP. If you use WEP change your keys frequently. Lock down any PCs on the network that customers would be able to get to. Beware of people that tend to park outside without being a customer and mooching your WiFi Internet Connection. One such moocher was prosecuted recently.

Oh, as a final note, you may want to re-configure your AP or AP/ROUTER(s) to the same IP subnet (first 3 of the IP the same) for ease of access to configure or check status later. Change the default passwords on any AP's so that noone else could access them. If possible block Wireless Access to the configuration pages.

Reply to
Alan Spicer

thread:

formatting link
Hi, If you want to keep it really simple, then I would recommend something like the Tomizone
formatting link
Not sure whether it would work with your particular brand of router. You can always get a Linksys WRT54GL for under 50$.

Reply to
outbackwifi

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.