IP Address Block Assignment

Folks:

Let us assume that a large multinational company is about to setup a standard corporate network with global reach. Here are a few related questions:

• HOW does the company get an IP address block assigned to it for its global network to function ? * WHO assigns the IP address block to be used in the company's global network ? * Does the company have a CHOICE in selecting its IP address block ? * Can someone walk me through the PROCESS from the point of applying for a block of IP addresses to the point of having same assigned to the company ?

Any references/links to good literature describing the assignment process would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks, Jo.

Reply to
<JoJo>
Loading thread data ...

It has to apply for it. If it is a huge and international company it would be best to contat IANA directly

formatting link

See above.

I doubt it but who knows...

This is nothing complicated. You apply for it and either you get it or you don't. Usually you have to complete a sheet of paper and mail it. Not too complicated.

Again, have a look at

formatting link
But besides the numbers/IP addresses you should think about the domain names.

Regards, Christoph Gartmann

Reply to
Christoph Gartmann

I forgot: you may even complete an online form:

formatting link
Regards, Christoph Gartmann

Reply to
Christoph Gartmann

1st basic assumption that is wrong - that you need a global block of space.

it is common practice to use the private address space - see RFC1918 - this gives you 16M+ addresses to play with.

you can ask for a unique allocation to use where addresses need to be unique - e.g. for management of MPLS VPNs where you dont want to clash with customer address space, or for an private extranet.

Assuming you use it for interconnect to the outside world (i.e the internet), then: even if you get it, it will complicate the network design, since any ISP you connect to globally may deliver packets to any point where you connect to the internet - so you need to either split up the block (in which case you might as well have several blocks assigned separately by the ISP in each region)

- or you have to route between all your ISP interconnects...

in reality you use public addresses where you have to, and private addresses elsewhere (or you go to IPv6 where you can have a lot more for the asking).

when you ask for an allocation you are expected to justify the no of addresses - last time i did this (a long time ago) you could take 2 years projected growth into account....

the assignment policies are public docs - read them. try the registry for the part of the world where the company has its HQ.

local registry?

No

read the manual :)

1 starting point:
formatting link
Reply to
stephen

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.