Assignment of local IP

In XP when changing between admin and user accounts with the "switch user" option, I am assigned a different local IP depending on what user or admin account I am logged into. How does the hardware recognize the difference between user A and user B to do this? Is this done at the AP router or within windows itself?

Reply to
Nomen Nescio
Loading thread data ...

option, I am assigned a different local IP depending on what user or admin account I am logged into. How does the hardware recognize the difference between user A and user B to do this? Is this done at the AP router or within windows itself?

Try: Start -> run -> cmd ipconfig /all Do this while in admin and user login. Looks for the line: DHCP Enabled......... yes or no If no, then you have the TCP/IP settings setup for static IP addresses, not dynamic.

You can also create complications if you have more than one network interface, such as wired ethernet and wireless. Each one could be individually enabled resulting in different IP addresses while using either the admin and user logins.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

replied:>

Thanks for your reply, sorry mine is late. It is set to DHCP, but what I was asking is how the AP router assign a different local-192.168.x.x IP if you have one user,Jane login and then another user on the same computer login, John? It seems to be able to differentiate between the two users as they get assigned different local IPs? Other than MAC address, computername and hostname (on XP) what other software or hardware variables can an AP access to differentiate different users and/or different computers Can they tell what OS you're using, for example? How?

Well it seems to be able to tell that and then reassign a different IP to prevent conflicts?

Reply to
Anne Onime

Ok, I see what you're doing. You are logged into an XP machine twice. Once with Jane, and once with John. Each session seems to have a different IP address. I can't duplicate that here. I created a user=Junk and logged in as both JeffL and Junk. Switching sessions, I get the same IP address in both sessions. Sorry, but I have no idea how you're doing that, or if that's considered normal.

No. TCP/IP is suppose to be operating system agnostic.

No conflict. For ever MAC address, you have have any number of IP addresses attached to the MAC address. Try it:

C:\>ipconfig /all | find "Address" Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1E-4F-DA-9D-31 IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.111.9 That's the MAC address and IP address of my ethernet card in my desktop. No wireless card in this machine.

C:\>arp -a Interface: 192.168.111.9 --- 0x2 Internet Address Physical Address Type 192.168.111.1 00-13-10-8c-14-a9 dynamic

Now, adding 3 new IP addresss to my local ethernet MAC address with: C:\>arp -s 192.168.111.100 00-1E-4F-DA-9D-31 C:\>arp -s 192.168.111.101 00-1E-4F-DA-9D-31 C:\>arp -s 192.168.111.102 00-1E-4F-DA-9D-31

Checking if it worked: C:>arp -a Interface: 192.168.111.9 --- 0x2 Internet Address Physical Address Type 192.168.111.1 00-13-10-8c-14-a9 dynamic 192.168.111.100 00-1e-4f-da-9d-31 static 192.168.111.101 00-1e-4f-da-9d-31 static 192.168.111.102 00-1e-4f-da-9d-31 static

Same MAC address, but 5 different IP addresses attached to it (including 192.168.111.9 and 127.0.0.1).

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Anne or Nomen or if you prefer both,

Please post the output from the command

ipconfig /all

for both users.

You can cut and paste from the windows of if you find it easier

ipconfig /all > somefile.txt

will save the info to a file.

Reply to
bod43

Before you waste a lot of time both "Nomen Nescio" and the his new alias "Anne Onime" are prolific newsgroup spammers who just show up and start making lots of bizarro posts after one or two questions.

Reply to
George

I seriously doubt that is happening.

Windows obtains it's IP address upon boot up, not upon a user logging in.

I'm 99.999999% sure no one will be able to duplicate, excepts for sock puppets of yourself.

Reply to
DanS

Well that was my view too but I wanted to be nicer:-(

Reply to
bod43

dupe post for adequate propogation

whined:

'seriously doubt'? hahaja, you don't really know do you? It is happening I have watched it happen. Something occurs with the DHCP assignment and the client computer in the process of changing users and the server assigns a different local IP. It is able to discriminate between two different user accounts independent of mac,computername or hostname.

Socks protocols are perfect for people like u, who think they know more know alot, but don't. I guess I could piss away good money by paying giganews to monitor my postings like you do. Rather st u pid, ime.

Reply to
Anne Onime

whined:

"seriously doubt"? haha, you don't really know do you? It is happening I have directly observed it. Something happens between the DHCP server and the box in the process of changing users and the server assigns a different local IP. It is able to discriminate between two different user accounts independent of mac,computername or hostname.

Socks protocols are good for people like you, who think they know more than they really do. I guess I could throw away good money by paying giganews to monitor my postings like you do. Rather stu p-id, imo.

Reply to
Dave U. Random

Yes. Seriously doubt.

Do you have a link to show *anyone* else has *ever* had this problem ?

I searched for 30 seconds, didn't find one.

What's rather stupid is you posting the same reply to me under two different names that don't even thread properly. What's that, 3 names you've used in this thread so far.

Take a hike troll.

Reply to
DanS

You know how to google? Impressive. Maybe you can figure out how to use socks servers and not have to pay someone to post and watch over your content.

Not threaded?, too bad. You replied though didn't you? I don't have to follow you weenie rules of posting as long as my post makes it to the board, that's all I really care about. And I am not going to be held up by lousy remailer propogation/censorship.

Try to know what you're talking about before you reply to posts.

Reply to
FerlillwussieDan

I don't know what all y'all are talking about, when you say this is impossible.

It is quite possible - likely even - that different users will have different wireless profiles. E.g. user "aaron" might have a profile that associates to SSID "SuperUsers" while user "FerlillwussieDan" might have a profile that associates to SSID "IrritatingTrolls". The two SSIDs could be in different VLANs, even in completely different networks, and thereby get different IP addresses from different ranges.

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Aaron Leonard wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

networks,

ranges.

Not sure I understand you. I think the OP was saying he was getting different IPs using the SAME SSID, but different internal usernames on an XP system. When he logs on with one username he gets one IP and with another users name another IP. This would indicate that the AP/Router can identify incoming signals identity on paramaters other than MAC address, based on internal names within the operating system of the client computer.

Reply to
Alfred

I don't see where the OP stipulated that he/she was using the same SSID.

Assuming that the same SSID *is* being used ... it is interesting to ponder how or whether the described behavior might come to pass. What springs to mind at first pass would be if the DHCP client were smart enough to issue a different client ID depending upon the logged in user ... perhaps a client ID that even encodes the username. The DHCP server could then assign an IP address accordingly.

As far as I know, however, the Windows XP DHCP client (when operating over a LAN-like adapter) always only uses a DHCP client ID of 0x01 followed by the 6-octet MAC address, regardless of the logged in username.

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

note its a *LOCAL* ip addy, not an external ip addy... there are many ways of getting various LOCAL ip addys..... for instance, i have two wireless adaptors on my system, each get a different LOCAL ip addy, but both have the same EXTERNAL ip addy

Reply to
Peter Pan

Aaron Leonard wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

See the post from Peter Pan. Also in reading about VLANs on wikipedia, that you mentioned earlier, it appears the host can identify specifically what system is connecting and issue or deny DHCP or router access based on many different paramaters, not just MAC/hostname/client adapter name, thus yielding whatever local IP is desired or none at all (denial).

But I am not sure how this works. Also if the OS is reported as you indicate above, that is just another indication of what system is connecting. I believe they can also triangulate your antennas location fairly precisely via sensors at various locations.

Jeff often remarks that he throttles or blocks clients he does not like but have not seem him mention how he does that.

Reply to
Fruity

Meanwhile, at the alt.internet.wireless Job Justification Hearings, Fruity chose the tried and tested strategy of:

802.1x
Reply to
alexd

Erm, well, yes.

Same PC. Two different user accounts, "aaron" and "troll". Assume just one SSID "foo", which uses 802.1X/EAP of some flavor.

The authenticator (i.e. the AP in an autonomous AP deployment, or the controller in a centralized deployment) can find out the client's username via EAP (Identity Request). This can then be forwarded to the authentication server (typically RADIUS) for authentication and authorization.

The RADIUS server can definitely assign a different VLAN to use, based upon the user ID, so that "aaron" will connect to VLAN 10 (subnet 10.1.10.0 /24) while "troll" is assigned to VLAN 11 (subnet 10.1.11.0 /24). Thus "aaron" and "troll" will always get IP addresses from different ranges.

Then I guess the DHCP server for VLAN 10 could have a static binding from the PC's client ID (i.e. 0x01 + MAC) to a fixed IP address, and similarly the DHCP server for VLAN 10 would have another static binding.

Thus "aaron" could connect to SSID "foo" and always be assigned

10.1.10.47 while "troll" could connect to "foo", from the same PC, and always be assigned 10.1.11.99.

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.