Help with Vlan passthru for phones to another switch on Cisco Catalyst 3750

Hello let me explain what I am trying to do. I have a 48 port Cisco Catalyst that I have no ports free. I have phone that need to be hooked up. I have the power supply for them so i dont need POE. What i want to do is take a port a connect that port to another switch which I will use on for the phones. I still want the phones to hand out DHCP addresses to my pcs that are connected to the new phones.

I configured a port but it is handing out DHCP address from the Phones Vlan not my data Vlan. I have 4 Vlans. 1 for phones, 1 data, 1 management and 1 wireless access.

Reply to
bgraham34
Loading thread data ...

Hi,

If you want to pass VLANs from one switch to another, you have to define both ends of the link as trunk. Also you have to have the same VLANs configured in both switches. And third - your "second" switch should support Cisco IP Phones. What model is your additional switch? If it does not support IP Phones and "auxiliary VLAN", you may need to configure port as a trunk. And as a "last resort", you may need to configure "some" ports to be just a "phone ports" and other ports to be "PC ports" with the only one VLAN configured on the port.

Good luck,

Mike CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, Cisco Voice, MCSE W2K, MCSE+I, Security+, etc. CCIE R&S (in progress), CCIE Voice (in progress)

------ PC Headset Adapters for Cisco IP Phones

formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
headsetadapter.com

I have not purchased a switch as of yet. I am not sure what to buy, can you recommend any for what i want to do. At the moment we are unable to order anything so whatever i need to order will have to be on the lower end of the spectrum. Hence the reason we are not doing POE.

Thanks.

Reply to
bgraham34

If you want to get PoE for your phones, then lowest model you can get is Catalyst Express CE500-24PS (list price $2795). Catalyst 2960 switches support Voice VLAN, however they don't provide PoE, so, you will need to power on your phones with either brick, PS or Power PatchPanel. The list prices for 2960 are $895-1395 for 8-ports, $1295-3295 for 24 ports, and $2495-5995 for 48 ports. Next step will be Layer3 switch (for example, Catalyst 3560, ranging from $1395 up to $18990 (no kidding).

Basically you can find good Cisco partner, and get up to 40% discount off the list price. So, it won't be that scary.

Good luck,

Mike CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, Cisco Voice, MCSE W2K, MCSE+I, Security+, etc. CCIE R&S (in progress), CCIE Voice (in progress)

------ Headset Adapters for Cisco IP Phones

formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
headsetadapter.com

Is there any that you could recommend that would do this for me.

Thanks.

Reply to
bgraham34

Is there any switches that you can recommend that would be under $500.

24-48 ports would be good. I only need to add 4 phones on at the moment and wont be adding anymore than 6 more after that. So the extra ports if possible I would like to use for just data.

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
bgraham34

Is there any switches that you can recommend that would be under $500.

24-48 ports would be good. I only need to add 4 phones on at the moment and wont be adding anymore than 6 more after that. So the extra ports if possible I would like to use for just data.

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
bgraham34

For this amount you can find only refurbished Cisco switch without Cisco warranty or support. I know some companies sell refurbished and reconditioned Cisco switches, and even provide their own support. However in most cases you get what you pay for. If you're going to get PC behind Cisco IP phone, I wouldn't recommend anything but Cisco, but if you don't mind to get IP phones on separate ports, then you may go with any switch which supports VLANs and trunking.

Good luck,

------ Headset Adapters for Cisco IP Phones

formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
headsetadapter.com

I have been budgeted $500 to get a switch that I will need to do the Job. Otherwise I have to wait until next year. But I have currently 3 users who dont have phone. I have seen Linksys and Netgear switches in that price range but I am unsure what I would need to do the Job. Poe is not a big deal.

Reply to
bgraham34

I do have a Catalyst 2900 XL and 3500 XL switches that are not being used. Would they work for me.

Reply to
bgraham34

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.