Router fail-over Question from a newbie

I have been tasked to create a fail-over strategy for our small business. I have a 2610XM router with a 16 port ethernet switch card. All of my switches are non-managed and connected to the router (I wanted managed switches and setup vlan for the record). If my router dies what are some options I could use? I also have a pix 515e and IPS 4215.

My guess is creating a hugh IP scope on the DHCP server and change the Default gateway to the pix? I have a 4500 router in my basement collecting dust could I use HSRP with the 2610? Any help will be welcome. I dont see many outs

Reply to
Psiclonius
Loading thread data ...

You may wish to investigate network high availability expert, Dr. Vincent C. Jones and his Addison-Wesley Book Chapter 6 -

Managing Multiple Routers at a Single Site:

formatting link
Profile of Dr. Jones:

formatting link
Hope this helps.

Brad Reese BradReese.Com - Cisco Power Supply Headquarters

formatting link
Hendersonville Road, Suite 17 Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803 USA & Canada: 877-549-2680 International: 828-277-7272 Fax: 775-254-3558 AIM: R2MGrant Cisco IOS Software - Compatible Partner Matrix by Technology
formatting link

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

hsap is your best solution, run it on the eth int point you clients to those interfaces. although you will need to pich up a nm for your 2610 as they only have a single eth int

formatting link
wrote:

formatting link

Reply to
Jack.Hopper

Presuming you meant HSRP, I am preferring GLBP these days as it better permits distribution of load across multiple routers.

Reply to
Paul Matthews

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.