Newbie router question

I have just replaced my Linksys router WRT54G today as the first one lasted less than a year. Linksys support said it's because i have it plugged into a outlet controlled by a wall switch which controls must of my computer system. They suggest leaving it on at all times. Does this make sense? Is this what most of you do? I don't want to ruin this router also if true. I also have a new Linksys cable modem using this same outlet. Should the modem and router be left on at all times? It's not a problem to change to another outlet if necessary. Thanks for any help. Ed

Reply to
Ed Smith
Loading thread data ...

Why do I smell an attempt by Linksys support to pass the blame back to the customer? Did Linksys honor the warranty?

I deal with about 5ea WRT54G routers, setup as access points, at local coffee shop hot spots. At night, 3ea of the owners turn off the routers. This has been going on for about 2 years. No failures. I also have customers that turn their wireless routers on and off as they have no use for them when nobody is home. So far, no failures. However, I have had failures with BEFW11S4, DWL-900AP+, and Apple Airport routers for various reasons. Old Apple and SMC routers had defective electrolytic cazapitors that would bulge on the top and leak badly after about a year. I lost two BEFW11S4 routers to what I suspect was power line spikes (not sure). Two DWL-900AP+ in succession were overheated by the customer and had a short lifetime. The third survived after a ventillated the desk drawer they were hidden inside. In general, turning the WRT54G should have no effect on longevity.

Incidentally, the WRT54G has a really nifty power supply, that will run on just about any DC voltage between 4.5VDC and perhaps 18VDC. It's therefore almost totally immune to power line loss, voltage variations, and possibly power line spikes.

So, what type of failure did you experience? No lights? Flashing "test" light? All lights stuck on all the time? DC power supply failure? Also, what hardware version (look on serial number tag).

I like to leave everything on all the time. However, that's not because of long life issues. It's because I'm lazy and can afford the electricity. Doing the math:

WRT54G burns about 8 watts of power. 8 watts * 24hrs/day * 365 days/year = 70 kw-hrs/year At $0.15/kw-hr, that's $10.50/year to leave your WRT54G plugged in all the time.

Apple Airport capacitor repair:

formatting link
General comments on bad caps:
formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I left my 11S4 v1 router on 24/7 365 since 2001 and it had no problems but it eventually died. Now I leave my Watchguard Firebox III 6 on 24/7 365 too.

I run all my equipment through a Belkin UPS/AVR system the modem, hub, FW appliance, printer, print server, 3 computers and some times 4. And the WAP will be plugged in there too when and if I ever go back to using a wireless connection. IMHO, things like routers don't like to be switched on and off on a routine basis nor do they like power spikes or drainage on the line from household appliances switching on and off too. They like clean and constant power that cannot be provide by some power strip laying on the floor plugged into some wall outlet controlled by and on off switch.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Sorry I took so long to reply, had to go out of town. Thanks for the in depth replies. My questions have been answered. Ed

Reply to
Ed Smith

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.