Getting IP to change with router

My question is about dsl equipment but I think it should work the same way with cable. When I had a single modem I used to be able to turn it off like for 20 seconds and turn it back on again, and then press "connect" on the Verizon icon in "Network Connections" and get a new IP number. Now I have a router and things are different. Turning it off and back on again doesn't work. Unplugging the router and rebooting the computer does work however, but I don't want to have to do that. Does anybody know how I can get a new IP while using a router? My router's a Westell by the way if you want to know.

Reply to
Dan
Loading thread data ...

| My question is about dsl equipment but I think it should work the same | way with cable. When I had a single modem I used to be able to turn it | off like for 20 seconds and turn it back on again, and then press | "connect" on the Verizon icon in "Network Connections" and get a new | IP number. Now I have a router and things are different. Turning it | off and back on again doesn't work. Unplugging the router and | rebooting the computer does work however, but I don't want to have to | do that. Does anybody know how I can get a new IP while using a | router? My router's a Westell by the way if you want to know.

DSL Questions are posted in; news:comp.dcom.xdsl and for Verizon subscribers you can also post in; news://news.verizon.net/0.verizon.adsl IP assignment under DSL is NOT the same as in a Cable Internet system. Your assumption "...it should work the same way with cable" is incorrect especially when using PPPoE.

Reply to
David H. Lipman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.