XPEED SDSL Modem - Anyone Using On U S Online?

My daughter just bought a new Compaq computer and tried to switch her XPEED SDSL modem to the new computer. It doesn't connect with the ISP and she doesn't know how it was installed on the old computer. Is there an install CD that she needs? XP drivers? She is using U.S. Online in Fort Worth Texas. I'm trying to help her by long distance.

Reply to
Dick
Loading thread data ...

She can take the CAT5 out of the new computer and stick it in the old computer and the connection is there. So it's definitely something not set right in the new computer.

The ISP BTW is Ignition, not US Online as she told me at first. Apparently, US Online no longer provides service directly but only through other ISP's.

Reply to
Dick

I'd suggest she call US Online and ask them. At a minimum, she has to have her Internet connection set up properly, and there are a variety of ways that's done depending on the connection type.

If the computer has an Ethernet card, using that instead of USB should eliminate the need for special device drivers, but again that wouldn't get her connection up and running.

Reply to
Cyrus Afzali

Reply to
Dick

Windows XP?

Check Control Panel --> Network something or other --> Local Area

Copy settings from the old system into the new and move the cable. An XPEED modem provides ethernet connection if memory serves.

There is a network card on the new system right ?

Reply to
Andy Bustamante

Reply to
Dick

Is it a PPPoE connection? If not, the ISP may use the MAC address as authentication. Have you called their support line and asked?

Reply to
Hank Karl

Just for kicks, did she try having XP's Internet connection wizard see if it could find and set up the US Online connection? I can't attest to how well that wizard works, as I've never needed it, but it might be something to try.

Reply to
Cyrus Afzali

All she needed was for the ISP to register the IP of the new computer. I overlooked that because I am so used to using a router, and never need to do that after the first one.

Reply to
Dick

Most liekly she needs to be running PPPoE on the new computer. Yes, she will need the install CD, unless she is technical enough to know how to set up freeware PPPoE software.

Reply to
T. Sean Weintz

Yes, it's all taken care of. The ISP just had to register the IP address for the new computer.

Reply to
Dick

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.