Static IP on residential line

What companies offer static IP addresses on residential lines in the New York City area? I have been using Speakeasy for almost five years now, but for six or seven months now my line quality has ranged from fair to unusable for $53/month. I put in a ticket in the spring but eventually was told that Covad "declared the line best effort." That doesn't make it any better, though. I just put in another ticket but am not optimistic that anything will be done about it. Some nights I just want to cancel the service and forget about Internet altogether. FIOS interests me at $30/month but for a static IP I'd have to get a business line for about $100/month (ridiculous). I have a small, obscure, low-traffic server that hosts several silly web sites and also acts as my personal mail server. I'd hate to have to host my sites and my e-mail elsewhere if I don't have to but I'm just getting tired of my pathetic service-- which used to work great for years, making it all the more frustrating.

Reply to
Andrew M. Saucci, Jr.
Loading thread data ...

You might want to look into one of the many Dynamic DNS sites. Many are free and a few even provide dynamic port swapping in order to get around a blocked port number, like 25 or 80.

Reply to
GlowingBlueMist

Sounds like a Verizon problem.

Reply to
News

Sure it does-- but I'm buying the service from Speakeasy. It is Speakeasy's responsibility to force Verizon to fix it if necessary. It would in fact bug me if I gave my business directly to the company responsible for the poor service, but what is a harried teleworker supposed to do?

Reply to
Andrew M. Saucci, Jr.

As an IT consultant, I have found that nothing substitutes for a real static IP address when running a mail server. Besides, the terms of service for residential lines usually preclude running any sort of server under any conditions.

Reply to
Andrew M. Saucci, Jr.

So go back and ask again, and again if necessary.

Customers that take FioS leave dry copper pairs behind.

Andrew M. Saucci, Jr. wrote:

Reply to
News

Just got a reply to the ticket I just opened. Basically told me to go away. I guess I don't have much choice but to do it. Oligopolies are a pain.

Reply to
Andrew M. Saucci, Jr.

So that pair is waterlogged. Place an order for a new line. When it is functional, cancel the old line.

Andrew M. Saucci, Jr. wrote:

Reply to
News

That isn't actually such a bad idea. In fact, I already have another Verizon telephone line in the house I share with my parents. I could order DSL on their line and see if that works any better. If so, I just switch to that circuit; if not, I cancel both.

responsible

Reply to
Andrew M. Saucci, Jr.

Panix.

formatting link
for general info or
formatting link
for specific DSL details. This is a first class ISP in every way, period.

But, if your phone line is crappy, using your other one would be smart, because that'll be a problem no matter who your ISP is.

Billy Y..

Reply to
billy

Panix also offers inexpensive vcolo so you might host your server there.

Reply to
David Lesher

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.