How Do I Turn This Thing Off?

Just got Verizon DSL and installed it yesterday.

But my one question -- what's the best way to disable/disconnect/turn-off the connection when not in use or while out of the house?? Some alternatives might be:

Turn the PC off - obviously not my first choice

Physically unplug the DLS cable from the modem Turn off the power to the modem Don't like these because the DSL modem is also acting as our in-house router.

Go into ControlPanel and Disable the Connection -- seems kinda cludgy.

There must be a software interface I can put on the desktop to enable and disable the connection??

chuck

Reply to
nick
Loading thread data ...

"nick" wrote

Just a tad paranoid, are we? ;-)

Since you are behind a router, it probably isn't necessary but if you MUST..........

1) Unused for 4 hours or more, shut it off. 2) Unplug the Ethernet cable from PC to modem (obviously not an option if wireless) 3) Put it in "sleep" or "stand-by" mode with "wake on LAN" OFF.
Reply to
Ken Abrams

Why do you think you need or want to do this? [Many DSL modems have a 'standby' switch on top, which one do you have?]

How many computers do you have connected to the modem, and what kind of modem/router do you have?

And only works on that one computer. [If 'show me the icon when connected' is checked, you can right-click on the icon and enable/disable it.

Sure, on any one computer you can have a DOS prompt that does a 'ipconfig/release' and 'ipconfig/renew', but that takes down your LAN as well.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

It's a Westell VersaLink Model 327W.

It acts as both an in-house wired router for the 3 PCs in the house, and it acts as the DSL gateway.

Problem is, if I unplug the power or disable the interface I lose not only the DSL but the in-house network.

I can unplug the DSL cable from the wall or DSL box, but I give that about 10 unplug/replug cycles before the cable end snaps.

Anybody make a phone-cord on/off switch??

Reply to
nick

This is your best bet. I won't "snap". If it does, who cares? Buy a spare, they're ultra cheap.

-Frank

Reply to
Frankster

Radio shack has a selector switch that you can use backwards...

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Aha! Off to Shack. Thanks fer the info.

Reply to
nick

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 11:16:13 GMT, nick put finger to keyboard and composed:

My D-Link modem has a Connect/Disconnect page in its browser interface.

- Franc Zabkar

Reply to
Franc Zabkar

Your taking the wrong approach. What you want is to be in a Stealth mode, invisible to everybody, so your computer will look like it doesnt even exist on the Internet.

Configure your router not to respond to pings.

Test your computer ports vulnerable at "ShieldsUp"

formatting link

Results of a port scan of my computer

Your system has achieved a perfect "TruStealth" rating. Not a single packet ? solicited or otherwise ? was received from your system as a result of our security probing tests. Your system ignored and refused to reply to repeated Pings (ICMP Echo Requests). From the standpoint of the passing probes of any hacker, this machine does not exist on the Internet. Some questionable personal security systems expose their users by attempting to "counter-probe the prober", thus revealing themselves. But your system wisely remained silent in every way. Very nice.

Reply to
JimK

So far the simplest method has been to put a shortcut to the LAN network connection on the desktop. Click to enable; click to disable. Gotta enable to use the LAN and/or the DSL, but it's not mechanical so there's no cheap asian plastic to snap off.

thanks all

Reply to
nick

Go to http://192.168.1.1/ and see if there is a disconnect button.

Reply to
Pepi Manguell

Ah well, back again. Turns out that disabling the DSL connection on one computer does not disable it on the others. I suppose the same is true of disabling internet activity at the firwall -- works only for the computer running that instance of the firewall.

Still looking for an easy, safe, mechanically sound way to disconnect my entire home net from the internet when we are not actually using the net.

Reply to
nick

I'm a bit confused by your use of "disable DSL" and "firewall" above, but how did the switch from Radio Shack idea work out?

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

If you have a router with the computers set up for NAT and no one using the DMZ, the outside can never get "in" past your router. This is why a router is listed as a requirement by most of us. Only traffic initiated by one of your computers can get back to it. If you want more than this, you need to stop looking over you shoulder so much.

Reply to
DLR

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.