HELP: Strange LED blinking and behavior on Alcatel Speedtouch Home

My Alcatel Speedtouch Home modem was struck by lightning a week ago, then it won't sync and won't respond to telnet either. The power/alarm LED then started flashing green/orange ever since, but the line sync light still blinks, meaning it is still trying to sync. I have since cracked open the modem, located and repaired any lightning damage. It seems to work now but syncs at reduced speed, AND the power/alarm LED STILL blinks green/orange.

The Speedtouch manual does not explain why the power/alarm would blink green/orange and there seems to be nothing on the net about anything similar.

Any clues?

TIA

Reply to
Buurin
Loading thread data ...

When the power light fails to turn a steady green that indicates a POST failure.

Reply to
Kay Archer

"Buurin" wrote

I think you need to get one.....a clue, that is! Obviously you weren't able to "locate and repair any lightning damage." It is rather naive to think that you could. Junk it.

Reply to
Ken Abrams

Yes; and I am rather awed that you failed to notice them. Lightning struck modem? One should not be disappointed that it works so poorly; rather, one should be amazed that it works at all! Get a new one.

Reply to
NormanM

green/orange.

Now, to prove that I actually know what I'm doing...

When I opened up the modem, I found one capacitor on the ethernet circuit and one ferrite bead blown on the POTS circuit. I replaced the capacitor but I do not have the right replacement for the ferrite so I put a wire there. After this repair the modem worked...

(And yeah, I worked with SMT parts before)

Reply to
Buurin

green/orange.

Now is there any way to know for sure why and how the modem's POST failed?

Reply to
Buurin

Unfortunately, components that are sensitive to ESD (read, all microcircuits) will be damaged by the presence of the high voltage present when lightening enters a device. ESD is essentially low-level lightening. The fact that parts that are not sensitive to ESD were damaged indicates a substantial amount of high voltage discharges entered the circuit board - all the microciruits have been compromised to some degree, as indicated by the POST failure. Buy a new modem.

Reply to
Rick Wintjen

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.