Getting PPoE to work on a Linksys

I have a wireless-G Linksys Router (cant find the model #), but the firmware is version cv1.01.4, Jan 29 2003.

All Im trying to do is have two computers (networked via the wireless router) connect to the internet using a dial-up internet connection I have on one of the computers.

My router only has a cable/dsl input connector thats currently not connected. It has no telephone jack.

On the linksys setup, I have selected PPoE, but the status always shows 'disconnected'. Ive tried connecting first to the internet and then pressing the 'connect' button on the linksys setup but that didnt work. Is what Im trying to do even possible??

Reply to
benn686
Loading thread data ...

Forget the pppoe and use the router as a switch. You may even want to turn off the dhcp function in the router. Enable Internet Connection Sharing (see your help files) on the computer connected to the internet and direct the other computers to it as a gateway.

Reply to
Kay Archer

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news:1105294013.290224.103240 @c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

If you don't have the router connected to a DSL modem you won't get connected. When you use PPPoE the router sends a login request to your ISP. When the ISP sends a positive reply back to the router the router will then show connected. If the router gets a negative reply or no reply at all it will never show connected. If you don't have the router connected to a cable/DSL modem it will never get a reply. Also if your ISP doesn't use PPPoE it will never connect. Most of the time it's only DSL providers that use PPPoE.

Reply to
Some One

Not with the Linksys router. PPPoE requires an ATM component from the telephone company. If your line is not provisioned for DSL service, there will be nothing for the PPPoE utility to connect with.

You could check with D-Link, Netgear, or SMC; all three have routers with serial ports that connect to a dial-up modem. I am pretty sure that those routers are not wireless; so, if you are trying to run a wireless LAN, you will also need a WAP to connect to the router.

Reply to
NormanM

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.