Serious Netwrking Headache

I am trying to connect a wireless laptop to a Belkin Wireless Router, the wireless router has an ADSL connector on it but I am connecting via a networking cable to an NTL Broadband box which is a cable modem.

I can get into the modem to change the settings, Ive enabled the wireless the laptop can see the router. But it wont access the internet at all ?

When I first connected the laptop to the router to configure it via the 192.168.2.1 I got in set up wireless etc., It even allows me to bring up internet pages, but as soon as I remove the cable from the laptop to the router, the wireless shows as connected but wont bring up any internet pages at all. Its driving me nuts, Ive tried disabling firewall, checking TCP settings, etc.

I was wondering if anyone knows what Im doing incorrect?, Are ADSL, and Cable Modems compatible in this way I am trying to use it or not?, It seems that its not pulling internet through because there is nothing connected to the ADSL slot?,

Somebody Please help, anything is much appreciated.

Kindest Regards

Reply to
ampthetex
Loading thread data ...

So when you connect the laptop computer to the router with an Ethernet cable, everything is fine. But when you use the wireless connection, it's not. Have I got that right?

Okay. The place to look for your problem is on your laptop. It's not your Internet connection.

The Ethernet and the wireless connections on the laptop are handled by two different network adapters, with two different sets of settings. Your settings for the Ethernet NIC are apparently correct, as the laptop works when connected using the cable. Your settings for the wireless NIC are likely not correct, as the laptop will not connect when wireless.

First disable any wireless-specific security you may be attempting to use. While this will leave your router open for your neighbors to use, this step is important for isolating the problem. With the wireless-specific security disabled in the router, see if you are now able to connect with the laptop using the wireless interface. If you are, then your problem is in your security settings. If you still can't connect, then the problem is more basic, and is likely in the TCP/IP settings for your wireless (not Ethernet) adapter in the laptop. (Don't forget to re-enable any wireless security in the router whether or not you are able to immediately resolve your problem.)

Reply to
Warren

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.