DSL Issues

Hey, can anybody offer some advise? I tried to install a Wireless Network at home and while doing it, I must have deleted something on my PC that I needed for my DSL connection. Now I can't access the Internet anymore.

I am not too worried about my wireless network right now, all I want is to get my DSL connection to work again. My modem shows the DSL, USB and Power light but the Internet light does not work. Somehow the computer does not seem to recognize the modem anymore.

Does anyone have any ideas on what went wrong? Please keep in mind that I am a Marketing person and therefore am not very technical. Nevertheless any help would be appreciated.

Grete

Reply to
G
Loading thread data ...

I did that already several times and it does not do the trick. Is there a setting on my Internet options that I could have messed up while trying to install the Wireless Network?

G
Reply to
G

This is going to sound on the simple side but try it.

Turn off (unplug if necessary) everything, especially the modem and router, then turn them back on (I forget the order)) Sounds weird but works for my cable setup which dies about once a month.

Reply to
LB

Tried calling the mfg's tech support line?

LB

Reply to
LB

Possibly you have PPPoE service from your ISP, such as SBC. That requires that your PC, or router if you have a router, log in with a password. Efficient modems come with some software called Enternet that does this. If that has been disabled then it could explain the symptoms. Check your original papers from your ISP to see if PPPoE service is listed and also to get the login information. Then see if the software is still on your PC. Perhaps you could access it and get further information from it.

If you are connecting a modem directly to your PC, then you might wish to consider adding a firewall/router between the modem and the PC as an upgrade to your security.

Reply to
George Pontis

Try doing System restore.. Start->All Prog's->Accessories->System Tools-> System Restore -->>> Pick a date when the Comp worked fine....

Reply to
Broadband Techie

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.