Australian-bought ADSL router. Will it work in Europe?

Hi all!

The following: a friend of mine has returned from Australia with a Billion Bipac 5100 ADSL router

formatting link
Will this router function here in Europe (in Norway, to be more specific)? And if it will, are there any settings that need changing?

Regards, Evert

Reply to
meulie
Loading thread data ...

So there are no difference in the (ADSL-part of the) telephone systems in different parts of the world...?

Regards, Evert

Reply to
meulie

Your modem should work fine in Europe, just verify with your ISP the values of VP/VC (Virtual Path/Virtual Circuit).. The values used by most US providers are 0/35, but some modems came with default of 8/35... Good luck

Reply to
Broadband Techie

You have to ask your ISP if it is compatible with their equipment.

Reply to
David H. Lipman

So the application of ADSL technology is ISP-independent, not country-independent? And is it up to the ISP, or to the line-owner (2 different companies) to decide?

Regards, Evert

Reply to
meulie

There are different applications of ADSL technology; G.lite, G.DMT, G.test, G.OAM and G.HS are just some examples. Like I said, you have to contact the ISP to see what hardware is compatible with their application of ADSL.

Reply to
David H. Lipman

If anything...

ISP Dependent, country independent.

In my case the ISP and the line owner are the same.

Reply to
David H. Lipman

it depends on what dslam they isp is using. generally if it's adsl you should have no trouble unless you are far from the central office or RT location. or if your isp is using some special configuration in their dslam like s=1/2 and maybe this modem might not support.

Reply to
rocker2002

the modem was Annex A. Does this mean it also should be set to annex B when used on an analogue line in Norway?

(It's now changed to Annex B since I've tested the modem on an ISDN line (different ISP), just to see whether it was faulty or not. It worked fine there.)

Will it now also work on an analogue line with this Annex B firmware?

Regards, Evert

Reply to
meulie

Hi!

Please note that Norway uses ADSL Annex B in order to support ISDN. I do not know what Annex your Australian modem is. (A or B)

Regards

Erik

Reply to
Erik Meltzer

Hei Evert!

In Norway all modems are Annex B even if used over POTS (analog line).

If you can set the modem from Annex A to Annex B then it should work. Note. I've never seen a multi modem that supports both Annex A and Annex B, but there are many modems out there...

The main difference between A and B is the start frequency. To my knowledge Annex A and B modems have a different FW and analog frontend (filter).

Hilsen Erik

Reply to
Erik Meltzer

Ah... The Billion website simply says Annex A=POTS, Annex B=ISDN. A bit misguiding... :-/

Well, I'll give it a try as soon as I get at the home of the poor owners of that ADSL-router... ;)

Thanks, everyone! :)

Regards, Evert

Erik Meltzer wrote:

Reply to
Evert Meulie

On behalf of the girl who is now finally online via ADSL: Thank you all very much! ;-)

Reply to
meulie

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.