WRT54GS won't authenticate in "g only" mode

This is WRT54GS Rev 7, latest firmware. I am using it with a relatively new Lenovo laptop that has a 802.11g built-in (using Intel chipset).

If I set the Linksys to "Mixed" mode, everything works. And it connects in the 802.11g mode.

If I set it to "g only" mode, the connection does not get authenticated. This is with stong encryption(WPA2 AES) or even no encryption.

Is this a bug? or should I always leave the Linksys in the Mixed mode anyway (is a downside to doing this)?

Aloke

Reply to
Aloke Prasad
Loading thread data ...

Well, nothing in the firmware release notes:

Which model Lenovo? I had some similar oddities with a new T60 laptop and Intel 3945abg with Proset version something. I just couldn't get a connection on some wireless routers. I was fairly sure it was the laptop as 6 other laptops (including 3 of mine) worked perfectly. After much tinkering and updating from the IBM/Lenovo web pile, I went to the Intel web site, download the latest Proset version, and lived happily ever after:

I don't know what model Lenovo you have or what card is inside, but this might apply.

If not, try the laptop with other access points, and try other laptops with this particular access point. The idea is to isolate the problem in either the laptop or the access point.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thanks.

Any downside to leaving the Linky in the "Mixed" mode?

Aloke

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Reply to
Aloke Prasad

Not really. In the bad old days of the first 802.11g implimentations, the router used to "scan" between 802.11g and 802.11b. The result was about a 40% performance hit in mixed mode. See the table at:

With 802.11g only, the theoretical maximum for a 54Mbit/sec connection is 25Mbits/sec. For mixed mode, it's about 15Mbits/sec maximum.

However, the bad old days are over. I'm too busy to run a test right now, but these days, there's hardly any difference for a single

802.11g connection. However, if you have someone connecting at 802.11b, and you run a bechmark test at 802.11g, you will see a performance hit like the bad old days. Therefore, it's safe to use mixed mode, but only if you don't have any 802.11b wireless clients.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.