WRT54gs

Explain?

Reply to
Smartin
Loading thread data ...

Hi,

Today I set up my XP PC with a linksys WRT54gs router connected to optus cable. Reason is to connect my laptop while anywhere in the house. All is working good BUT (allways a but you say)

Is there a way to share files or a printer via the WRT54gs using windows XP ?

If I move into the above step I will need a higher level of security. Is there a program to monitor connections to the router.

Thanks

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Put the WRT54GS back in the box, take it back to the store and swap it for a WRT54GL (might cost a couple bucks more, worth it). You will thank me in the morning.

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.

Reply to
Rico

+--------------------------------------------------------------------+ | Linksys Adds Linux WRT54G Model Back | | from the hack-away dept. | | posted by CowboyNeal on Thursday December 01, @20:35 (Wireless Ne| |
formatting link
| +--------------------------------------------------------------------+ [0]Glenn Fleishman writes "Last month, Slashdot and others wrote about how the Linksys WRT54G, a popular embedded Linux-based Wi-Fi gateway, had [1]switched to VxWorks's OS for its v5 release. Because the WRT54G has become the standard as a cheap commodity device for building your own platform (like Sveasoft, Fon, and many others), this seemed like a big blow to hackers and developers. If you could still manage to flash the device--not sure if that was possible--it had half the RAM and flash of the v4 model. It turns out [2]Linksys wasn't killing the Linux model. They've released it as the WRT54GL with v4.30.0(US) firmware and will sell it under that name for about $70 retail. It's already in stock and the new firmware is on their [3]GPL software download page. Linux sales represent a few percentage points of their overall volume, based on the Linksys product director's remarks. The lesser quantity of RAM puts money back in their pockets on the mainstream model."
Reply to
Ryan Case

Wrong. The WRT54GL is exactly the same as the WRT54G v4 except for a higher price. At this time, *ALL* versions of the WRT54GS will work with alternative firmware, which is what I guess you're suggesting. If you plan to offer such advice in the future, please make an effort to explain why. Also, your suggested solution has nothing to do with answer the file/printer sharing question.

As for file and print sharing, it would be helpful to know what operating system you're using. I'll assume Windoze XP Home because most users of this product do not want to admit that they're using a Microsoft product.

Sharing Disks and Folders with XP: :

formatting link
bottom of this article on password issues: :
formatting link
of other articles on networking on this web site.

Monitor programs that work with the WRT54GS: :

formatting link
formatting link
If you replace your firmware with DD-WRT: :
formatting link
use any SNMP based monitoring program.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.