WRT54G v2.0 Alchemy Upgrade Fails - Help!

Hi guys (and gals),

I'm trying to upgrade my WRTG54G v2.0 to Alchemy 1.0, using the web interface, and it fails every time. Doesn't seem to hurt the router, but I can't get it to install.

- Reset router to factory defaults

- Used a direct wired connection to the router.

- Downloaded and unziped the bin file.

- Browse to the above, click upgrade.

Runs for a couple of seconds, progress bar about 1/2 inch, then full ASP web page with "Upgrades Are Fail" (interesting grammar...), and a Continue button. Click that, returns to the upgrade web page, progress bar keeps moving. When about 2/3 full, progress bar restarts, go another few minutes to about 2/3 full, then a pop-up window with "Upgrades are Fail" and a Cancel button.

All I want to do is boost the power on the transmitter to reach a WGA54G in my bonus room, heard Alchemy was a good option.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

- Brian.

Reply to
Brian
Loading thread data ...

DD-WRT, do a google :-)

Reply to
lawrencedudley

This may be something to do with the fact that the Linksys firmware will (*) only support a firmware download of 3MB. With the DD-WRT software, you have to load the ...mini... version first, which removes that restriction.

I got no help at all from the Alchemy folks, even after 'subscribing', haven't done the DD-WRT thing yet, but it looks like a much more responsive developer and forum participants.

(*) There's some question about which version of Linksys firmware do or do not have this restriction, but this funny message appears to be related. "We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

WRONG!

You can flash standard DD-WRT (or any f/w) to ANY version WRT54G up to router v3.x.

v4 WRT54G routers SUPPOSEDLY have a limitation on FLASH .BIN files having to be less than 3MB, hence the SUPPOSED mini requirement for DD-WRT. Once the mini is FLASHED, you can do the standard version. )I say SUPPOSED as if you check the wiki on this, there are reports of direct to standard being OK.)

v5 WRT54Gs cannot be FLASHED at all.

Reply to
__spc__

Hi, Had no trouble flashing standard version onto my v. 2.0 router. And there is provision for TX output adjustment.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Did you do this via a wireless link or via an ethernet cable? From your description, it sounds like you did it via wireless. That doesn't work because the router kills the wireless connection before the upload is done.

Also, did you bother to reset to defaults BEFORE you did the flash upgrade? It's not really necessary, but is considered a good idea to avoid suprises.

I suggest you dump Sveasoft and switch to DD-WRT. See instructions at: |

formatting link
it says to wait 2 minutes after flashing is for real. I wait about 5 mins and don't touch ANYTHING until after the 5 minutes is up.

So, do you need instructions on how to de-brick the router or did it recover by itself?

General clues and links: |

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Ahem :-)

I'm pretty happy with Talisman, and there are plenty of happy Alchemy users. DD-WRT probably _is_ better, but Alchemy should be fine. otoh, boosting power is only a one-way solution (it doesn't make it any easier to receive).

Reply to
Derek Broughton

I flash the mini now on all of them and then 'upgrade' It only takes a few minutes more, in my case, I just set a computer and the router to the task, have coffee/water foutain etc, come back repeat with the 'big' version ad asnwer email or do newsgroups...

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.

Reply to
Rico

They aren't kidding about the heat issue on the Tx, be careful about how high you set it unless you can run a fan to help keep things cool. Unless you just have to I would stay below the recommended max.

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.

Reply to
Rico

Derek Broughton hath wroth:

Oops. However, I just remembered another mess I created that might apply. I was connected via BOTH wireless and wired at the same time. I didn't realize this had happened because I had reset the router to defaults and my laptop had cleverly decided to connect to the now available non-encrypted access point. I thought I was safe with the ethernet cable, which should have been the default network path. It apparently wasn't. When I started the flash update (which was Alchemy

1.0 incidentally) it went part way and froze. Oops. I later used a TFTP copy to recover.

Yep. What bothers me is that there have been quite a few reports of dramatically improved range when the power is increased only at the WRT54G end. In theory, that should not be possible unless:

1. The receiver in the WRT54G is substantially more sensitive than that in the client radio receiver.
  2. The typical +15 to +17dBm output from the unmodified WRT54G is actually much lower than specified.
  3. The methods of measuring the improvements are inconsistent.

I also find it interesting that for all the WRT54G routers that have had the power increased, I've only seen one spectrum analyzer photos of the distorted mess created when the power is cranked up.

formatting link
's really difficult to see what's happening without an illuminated graticule, but my guess(tm) is that 100 or perhaps 150mw is the limit of acceptability. I'll try to take some better photos when I get inspired (and looking for an excuse to buy a new digital camera).

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Do yourself a favor and switch to DD-WRT. It's free and is much more open than the Svea$oft crap. Plus the Sveasoft guys are useless when it comes to asking questions, not to mention they continually violate the terms of the GPL.

Reply to
sbearusa

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.