WPA2... what conditions must be met?

I am planning to strengthen my WiFi security from WPA to WPA2.

Here's what I have: . Notebook PC (WinXP Home SP2) with Intel 2200BG WiFi card . Desktop PC (WinXP Pro SP2) with Linksys WUSB54G USB WiFi card . Linksys WiFi access point/router WRT54G v3 with latest firmware (supports WPA2)

Notebook Intel WiFi driver GUI shows an option to configure WPA2 Personal or Enterprise. Desktop Linksys WiFi driver GUI does not show any option to configure WPA2 Personal/Enterprise (it only shows WPA Personal/Enterprise configuration options). On both computers, I am using the vendor's WiFi graphical interface instead of Windows WZC.

If understand correctly, to get WPA (not WPA2) to work, the following condition must be true (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong):

- WiFi card and WiFi access point must support WPA encryption

- OS must support it too (WinXP SP2 later versions support WPA but older versions do not)

and here's what I am not sure about:

- Is WPA2 encryption OS related or WiFi driver related?

- Does WinXP SP2 need KB893357

formatting link
in order to get WPA2 to work?

- Will it work fine without KB893357 patch if WiFi driver already supports WPA2 (for example, my notebook PC WiFi)?

Hope I explain that clearly. Anyone?

Reply to
Ron
Loading thread data ...

Well, ok.

If you switch the WUSB54G driver from the Linksys utility to the "Let Windoze Manage the Wireless" also known as Wireless Zero Config, it should allow the WPA2 option. The problem is that you won't see a "check here for WPA2". Just inscribe the WPA encryption key in the dumbed down WZC box, and it will go through every possible encryption scheme until it finds one that makes WZC happy. If you manually configure the device using WZC, then the WPA2 option will be visible. See: |

formatting link
an example of what you should see.

If you're using WZC to control the card, then the WPA2 must be in the operating system. If you're using the native Linksys admin utilities, the WPA2 must be in the admin utilities.

I think so (not sure). I have it on my two office XP boxes. However, I don't know if it arrived via a Windoze Update or if I installed it seperately. I don't think it will hurt to install it seperately.

Once again, if you're using the Linksys management program and driver, then it will need to be in the Linksys driver. If you're using WZC, then the patch probably needs to be installed.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

It does show WPA2 entry in a drop down box.

What I don't like about WZC is I can't hide my SSID. SSID must be broadcasted in order to get WZC to connect to the AP. I've been using WiFi without showing my SSID. Now I have to broadcast my SSID. Not that big a deal but I would like it better if I could hide it.

Reply to
Ron

Ron hath wroth:

You don't need to have SSID broadcast to use Wireless Zero Config. If do NOT use "Show Available Networks" and simply create an entry for the SSID, it will work. That being said, I advise against hiding your SSID. It's very easy for assorted Linux tools to discover your SSID even if you don't broadcast it. What little security hiding your SSID offers is balanced by the inconvenience of setup, and the tendency for the neighbors to land on your channel.

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Been there done that. Didn't work unless SSID broadcast is enabled.

Thanks for the link. I know SSID hiding doesn't do much good but I'd like my WiFi to stay "shy" by not showing off its ID to the neighbors :-)

Well... let's just say nothing will prevent determined hackers from breaking in. If they can't do it today, they'll probably succeed another day.

Thanks again.

Reply to
Ron

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 08:47:45 -0800, Ron wrote in :

Hiding the SSID is of no value, and likely to cause problems.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.