WPA no workie, but WEP works

This is pissing me off: Have Linksys wireless router with newly updated firmware, WPA-PSK and RADIUS capabilities, etc.. Have desktop w/ a DLink Wireless G adaptor in another room. I can connect fine w/ WEP. But I wanted to use WPA for more security. I set the router to WPA-PSK, choose my password (copied in from a notepad document because it is 63 characters long), and set it. Good. Now I set my computer's connection to use WPA, copy the password in, and it *apparently* connects, but stays on "acquiring network address" FOREVER. I never get a real connection. I've tried hardcoding an IP address to no avail. I've tried simple WPA passwords (for test only) like "12345678" to no avail.

Switch back to WEP and I'm fine. WTF?? I called Linksys and they blame Dlink. :-(

Anyone seen this?

Reply to
burnedtechie
Loading thread data ...

Yup. Different h/w but simlar problem. The two manufacturers are storing the key differently, probably ascii vs hex, or colons instead of dashes or something. Try entering a hex key into both. Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre
[snip]

There is an XP hotfix for WPA. You might want to try that...

Reply to
__spc__

Reply to
Bobo

Bobo cried out

If it doesn't work, blame d-link, yeah sounds about right, always works for me!

Reply to
Rosco

For testing purposes, use a simple 4 letter passphrase on both sides to eliminate some sort of copy/paste error (I know, but what do you have to lose by trying this again for me). If that doesn't work(which I suspect will be the case), we will need more information from you. OS and version, specific products names (Linksys and Dlink make all sort of wireless gear, so product and version numbers will narrow down the range of things we would have to guess at). The more information you can provide the better.

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.

Reply to
Rico

Did this. Didn't work. What DID work? I replaced the Linksys router with a Belkin one and now all computers (with the proper private key) can get on, in WPA-PSK mode and not just WEP. So, the Linksys router

*claimed* to have WPA abilities, but in the end did not.
Reply to
burnedtechie

Blimey ......... which Belkin model?? I have been trying for 8 months now to get 'any' encryption working at all.

*** Free account sponsored by SecureIX.com *** *** Encrypt your Internet usage with a free VPN account from
formatting link
Reply to
Jack Ouzzi

How odd, I have had nothing but good luck with Linksys networking gear. Not to say that you couldn't have gotten a bad one and my luck has been really good. Just for people googling dejanews, what was the linksys model and version?

Oh and glad you got it working!!!!

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.

Reply to
Rico

Is it not the case maybe that one uses HEX and one ASCII for the encryption key?

Reply to
__spc__

The Linksys router was a Wireless-B BEFW11S4 with firmware updated to allegedly use WPA, which never worked on any computer I tried it with. As I said, the Belkin router I replaced it with (Wireless G Plus Router) worked like a charm using the same configuration - WPA-PSK with the password I had tried using before.

Reply to
burnedtechie

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.