question on wireless security WPA

In general, yes. A dictionary search could compromise WPA encryption if you chose easily guessable words/phrases. But WPA is considered very secure if a good password is chosen. (AES is considered even more secure than TKIP, but either is OK).

See #1. Even if you chose an easy to guess pass phrase, it is unlike your neighbor would guess it -- or that he/she would ever try.

The only way to connect to a WPA encrypted AP is to know and use the same password on the client as is used on the AP.

Sure. The channels on 802.11b and 802.11g overlap, so it is best to separate by 5 (1,6,11). Channel 5 is separated from channel 11 by 6, so is OK. I think it is best to use only 1, 6, or 11. Suppose someone else sets up an AP in your area. He notes you are on channel 5 and your neighbor is on channel 11. He would like to separate his by 5, but can't. If you were on channel 6, he could choose channel 1 for the least interference between each of you.

Reply to
Jerry Park
Loading thread data ...

Hi all yes me again,

I have setup my wireless router / network card to use WPA-PSK protection in our home.

I Does this mean nobody else local can access my internet account while im on wireless access

1. My neighbour has the same system as me as I can see his system when I search for networks so I see him and can access his wireless router as he has no protection can I be sure he cant mine as it has WPA

1. If he tries to access mine will a password I put in be required and asked for? I have noticed he is on channel 11 so I have set mine to channel 5 is this ok?

Many thanks

Reply to
hawklord

I'm adding to the question here.

So far I have been unsuccessful setting the WPA-PSK protection up (wireless security access). I have G-Only set and SSID Broad disabled. Does seem to take an age for the Notebook / Card to save / survey, but I can never get a connection at the end of it. I have the MAC address off the card as an allowed PC, I have the password set the same on both the WIreless-G Access Point and the card (Both Linksys devices) and channel 11.

Reply to
Keith (Southend)

Taking a moment's reflection, hawklord mused: | | I Does this mean nobody else local can access my internet account | while im on wireless access

I'm not sure what you mean here, but if you have another computer connected to your router, it will be able to use the internet regardless of whether you are connected and encrypted with WPA.

| 2. My neighbour has the same system as me as I can see his system | when I search | for networks so I see him and can access his wireless router as he | has no protection can I be sure he cant mine as it has WPA

WPA will keep him out ... unless you have a passphrase that is easy for him to guess. Use a 25+ character key with nonsensical ASCII characters ... for example: 5exg-wTqN8)h(9qNh(evUnqQuP%N>L

| 3. If he tries to access mine will a password I put in be required | and asked for? | I have noticed he is on channel 11 so I have set mine to channel 5 is | this ok?

Yes. Without the password, he will not be able to associate with your router. Channels 1, 6, and 11 are non-overlap channels, and are considered the best ones to use if available. Channel 5, for example, overlaps with 4 and 6 ... and this can lead to interference if someone is using 4 or 6 while you are using 5. If channels 1 and 6 are available, use one of those.

Reply to
mhicaoidh

Taking a moment's reflection, mhicaoidh mused: | | Yes. Without the password, he will not be able to associate with | your router. Channels 1, 6, and 11 are non-overlap channels, and are | considered the best ones to use if available. Channel 5, for example, | overlaps with 4 and 6 ... and this can lead to interference if someone | is using 4 or 6 while you are using 5. If channels 1 and 6 are | available, use one of those.

For a better explaination of channel overlap, check out the following link:

formatting link

Reply to
mhicaoidh

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.