No WEP or WPA, but MAC. Safe enough?

Hi all!

For certain reasons I currently can not implement neither WAP nor WPA on the wireless network here.

How safe is a combo of not broadcasting the SSID & MAC-address checking?

Regards, Evert

Reply to
meulie
Loading thread data ...

Yup, quite some permutations to try... ;-)

Reply to
meulie

Not very. Not broadcasting the SSID is useless and can cause you connection difficulties. MAC addresses are easily spoofed. But it might be difficult for someone to determine what address to spoof.

Reply to
Jerry Park

I finally got the WPA PSK working on my Linksys, you have to be patient with it as it seems very tempermental to set up. Infact the settings don't seem to work instantly, it may take a couple of minutes.

Reply to
Keith (Southend)

NOTHING is foolproof, if you see the vehicle parked outside with all the antennas on it just shutdown the network as you WILL be hacked! MAC addresses are captured by programs that capture everything that goes thru a network and then of course your mac address is on every packet that comes thru. Your WEP and WPA can also be hacked if given enough time! The key is DO SOMETHING because NOTHING is the default!!

Reply to
f/fgeorge

Ditto, I set up wireless in my office in this small downtown area. Lower level with no one around close so did not worry much about setting WEP or even changing the default login for the router. About a month ago brought my laptop in and in setting up the link, up pops a wireless link of an office upstairs that was just rented. He had no security settings either, probably thought the same thing. I called him and we both took the time to set security.

Same for my home network. One can just not assume that any area is safe.

Reply to
Don Harvey

Hmm, looks like I have little/no choice but to implement WPA(2) as soon as possible... :-/ (Even out here in the suburb of a medium town in No(r)way...) ;-)

Thanks, dudes/gals!

Evert

Reply to
meulie

What are you trying to do, prevent people connecting or prevent them sniffing the data?

Sniffing the data will be possible, spoofing the MAC address will be possible immediately after sniffing or using kismet, which very nicely displays the MAC address of clients that are connected.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

enought time = 10 to 30 minutes.

Reply to
David Taylor

Taking a moment's reflection, Jerry Park mused: | | MAC addresses are easily spoofed. But it might be difficult for | someone to determine what address to spoof.

Actually, it's quite easy. The client MAC Address is broadcast with every packet.

Reply to
mhicaoidh

Well you do have the choice but one of them isn't very good. :)

Reply to
David Taylor

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.