Need help with ISP firewall

I'm US military currently in Ecuador. We use the local ISP here and starting about a week ago, we haven't been able to webcam or make PC to phone calls using Yahoo messenger. When I attempt to, I get a message saying it appears I'm behind a firewall, this message even appears when I disable the firewall on my laptop. Is there a way to get around this firewall so I can web cam with my wife and kids? Several of us have brought this issue to the attention of our computer folks but they can't seem to get a solution worked out with the locals. Thanks for any help.

Reply to
parrishs8
Loading thread data ...

Short of finding an open proxy to use, or some other port to run the application on, there is little that you can do if the ISP is blocking the service/ports.

If you are subscribing to the ISP service, have you contacted them yourself and asked why they are blocking the service?

Reply to
Leythos

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news:1167407030.517613.33770 @i12g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

This generally shows up behind a NAT firewall. I would look to the local network guys before the ISP. I can't see an ISP compromising that type of traffic.

Reply to
Wheaty

i agree...chances are, it is mostly the local router NATing the traffic. ISPs have no business blocking chatting protocols.

But if it is > I'm US military currently in Ecuador. We use the local ISP here and

Reply to
ryanseu

Yahoo webcam interface with work with NAT, without opening ports, as it can use a proxy.

Many foreign countries ISP's block many things that we don't get blocked in the USA or other more forward countries.

Reply to
Leythos

Just an update, I tried Skype today and the webcam worked great. I don't know what the difference is between Yahoo and Skype but I'll just keep using Skype. Thanks for all the help.

Reply to
parrishs8

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news:1167425028.007761.81270 @s34g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Good to hear. That is a strange difference. Might warrant some investigation.

Reply to
Wheaty

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.