wireless-to-wireless connectivity?

Hello,

This is a followup to a previous post about sharing wireless across buildings. I have Internet access at point A. I can get a good wireless signal at point B. From point B, I can send a good wireless signal to point C. But point A and point C cannot be connected wirelessly due to obstructions. Further, points A, B, and C are in different buildings, so certainly can't be connected together with wires.

My question is: How can the guy at point C connect to the Internet through point B? It must be possible, at least from a physics perspective. All the diagrams I've seen about wireless access points has the AP attached to the first router with a cable. Seems this ought not to be necessary. Am I missing something simple?

thx,

Thomas

Reply to
Thomas
Loading thread data ...

Hi, Can you move access point to point B?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Buy Access Points or Routers that can function as repeaters. One example is the CompUSA brand 801.11g Router. In the past it has been on sale for $9.99 after rebate.

Mike Schumann

Reply to
Mike Schumann

OK. My Netgear RangeMax 824 doesn't say it can be a repeater, but the

802 Access Point model does, so I ordered one of those. I bet it's just a software difference, and if I had the inclination I could find some firmware to make the 824 work, but this solution ought to work fine. Thanks for the help.

Thomas

Reply to
Thomas
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

Your best bet is to put both a Wi-Fi client (for communication with point A) and a Wi-Fi access point (to host communication with point C) at point B, cabled together with Ethernet, running on different non-overlapping channels. In addition to avoiding the speed loss and other hassles of a repeater, this would allow you to use directional antennas if needed at point B.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.