enhancing sensitivity of a wireless card in a laptop

Another Access Point, which can be configured as a "repeater".

An example: I want to use my laptop in the building across the street. Unfortunately on the first floor of that building the signal strength is typically about -83 dBm at best, and depending on obstructions (literally on where cars are parked between the two buildings!), might be more like -95 dBm. Well, -83 dBm isn't very good, and -95 dBm essentially isn't there.

So I put a repeater on the second floor of that building. That's not where I want use the laptop, but that is where the signal strength is good. The repeater gets a signal more like

-70 dBm now, and so does the laptop.

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson
Loading thread data ...

It's called a "device"! As in "any commercially available

*device*/tool/accessory".

Of course another hardware solution might be approprite use of a high gain antenna, and maybe even a dedicated AP with a high gain antenna. What might work depends on details not provided.

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson

I made such a clip, it works, fits most of the cards and is especially nice in connecting laptop to directionl antenna.

I wrote disclosure document with US Patent office thinking to sell the idea to someone - never got to do it ...

Reply to
Andrey

Hi there - Anyone know of any commerciallly available device/tool/accessory that will enable enhancement of wireless signal reception by a laptop with a built in wireless card....?

Cheers,

Dave

Reply to
Crewe Dave

Some PCMCIA card can be connected to a better external antenna, but not many and I cant ever recall hearing of a built in chip with an external antenna connector, but that would be cool, and some have the capability to have thier transmitter power tweaked via the manufacturers included utility, but does yours? I Have no idea......

Reply to
Robert Jacobs

Well, I did not think he was asking for a thirdpart hardware solution, but yep, an AP or repeater will do it.

Robert...

Reply to
Robert Jacobs

Reply to
Robert Jacobs

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.