Wireless throughput

I use a Linksys WRT54G on a 10mbits cable DSL line. Works well enough on the wired side but the wireless side throughput is not quite up to serving the maximum the connection can provide.

I am getting approx 600k downloads to wireless G centrino laptop, compared to 1000k to 1100k on the wired side - no matter distance from router, etc. I have changed router firmware to DD-Wrt and been tweaking wireless settings but cant seem to get any improvement.

So, first of all I guess - am I correct in thinking my 54G should be able to reach full download on my 10Mbps cable line?

If so, any recommendations for a wireless DSL router that will provide the full wireless throughput?

Reply to
jas0n
Loading thread data ...

On 22 Jul 2006 10:22:32 GMT, "jas0n" wrote in :

Find and eliminate sources of wireless interference. Try different channels. Read the wikis below.

Reply to
John Navas

Bits and Bytes again. Please pick one unit of measure.

I'll guess(tm) that you're getting 1000KBytes/sec, which is

8Mbits/sec. That's about what I would expect from a 10Mbit/sec cable modem. 600KBytes/sec is 4.8Mbits/sec which is about what I would expect from a decent 11Mbit/sec wireless 802.11b (not G) connection. So, the first thing you check is what connection speed are you getting on the wireless client? You didn't supply a maker, model number, or operating system, so I'll leave it to you to find the connection speed. If it's 11Mbit/sec, you have a problem.

Which EXACT version of DD-WRT? It's on the status page in the upper right hand corner. Mine says: DD-WRT v23 SP1-RC4 (05/12/06) std (Oops. That should be SP1 Final, not one of release candidates). The reason I ask is that some of the earlier versions had some nasy bugs a few of which affected wireless thruput.

Also, what *HARDWARE* version of the WRT54G are you using? V1.1 has a slow processor and had problems with anything over about 6Mbits/sec thruput.

Yes. A 54Mbit/sec wireless connection should yield 25Mbits/sec in thruput, which should be more than enough for your 10Mbit/sec cable modem.

You have the make and model I would recommend with the firmware I would recommend. I have serveral of these and they work just fine. Try it with a known working laptop borrowed from a friend and see if the problem is in the router or the wireless client. Also, try dragging your Centrino laptop to someplace with broadband and see how it works elsewhere.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 21:51:40 GMT, Jeff Liebermann wrote in :

Nasy? :)

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.