Wireless Switches

Hi all

I have an office environment with three separate rooms, all three offices need internet connectivity.

The server room is approximately 20m away from the three offices. I want to run a cable from my DSL router to a wireless router/switch, that is centrally located near the three offices. In each of the three offices I want to then put another wireless switch/router for the people in the office to connect to. I then want the wireless switch/router in each office to connect to the centrally located wireless switch/router in order to give everyone internet access.

Can this be done? If it can be done, is there a setting that must be changes on the wireless router/switch that will connect them all together?

Any help or pointers will be greatly appreciated.

dan

Reply to
dan.erasmus
Loading thread data ...

If you're already using a router, then you'll be better off using a wireless access point (WAP). If the offices are all together, then a single WAP should provide the necessary coverage to the offices to allow everyone to connect. Run CAT5 from your router to the WAP and place the WAP in a location that minimizes the distance to the three offices. Try to avoid metal walls.

If you need a hardwired switch for direct connectrions, then run the wire from your DSL router to a switch and connect the WAP and any hardwired users to the switch.

A linksys WAP54G is a decent wireless access point and would probably fit your needs. We use one and it has good range and reliability. I've had good lock with D-Link switches, both 10/100 and gigabit models.

Reply to
xorbit

Dan,

This most certainly can be done.

You'll want to use a wireless access point, preferrable commercial grade.

At each of the three remote locations, you'll want to use a wireless bridge/switch. The best one that I've found thus far is the Buffalo Ethernet Converter

formatting link
I'd love to help you with this project. Please give me a call using the info below and we can discuss.

Chris

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Christopher M. Hutchison, CEO NetSteady Communications, Ltd.

Phone: 614-255-5575 Mobile: 614-853-0091 Skype: wifi_chris

formatting link

Reply to
NetSteady

formatting link

Like the last poster said, you will need a wireless bridge in each of the three remote locations. I have had great success with Broadcom routers with dd-wrt. You can pick up a Buffalo WHR-G54S for $40 and hack it with dd-wrt which can be used as a bridge. I am not sure if there is a client limitation, but I have used 5 machines on one bridge without a problem.

Reply to
Bryant Smith

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.