Wireless router settings

I am now working part time as an installer of CaptionCall video phones for the hard of hearing.

formatting link
very neat device for older folks! Often the phones are hard wired to a router near a computer, BUT, just as often the client wants the phone in another room so a wireless router is needed. The catch is that the client often owns a wireless router with some kind of encryption. The phone firmware will find the router and lets me pick the connection method and encryption method, BUT(second, very big but), I have to manually enter the WEP (or equivalent) code and very often the client has no real clue what it is. Yes, I look on the bottom of the router and sometimes there is an accurate code, but many times that has been changed. I know I can often query the router via a browser using 192.168.1.1 but that does not always work and even if it does I do not like to mess with client equipment (what if I accidentally change something). Furthermore sometimes the codes are hidden. SO... Is there a program or easy method to get the code info from wireless routers? Program needs to be USB stick portable. Could be from the "cloud" if it is from a legit place. Links?? Experience(s). I, obviously, am not very experienced with this particular aspect of the installation.

TIA

LouB

Reply to
LouB
Loading thread data ...

If you have access to an existing wirelessly networked PC and can log in with admin rights, then this program may help you.

If not, then perhaps this is an opportunity to upsell the customer on a dedicated access point solution, where the new AP is hardwired to the existing router and since it's new, you get to assign the channel (to avoid interfering with existing wireless networks), encryption type, and encryption key.

It'll be interesting to see what others come up with.

Reply to
Char Jackson

You solution looks very interesting, thank you.

Reply to
LouB

not sure why you would want care/about the codes... it's basically a voip phone and screen working off a specific ip addy... as a suggestion, i use powerline networking and have network injected from my wap/router onto the home ac powerlne, and wherever i want a wired network connection, just plug the other unit in, connect a hardwire/rj45 cable, and bingo... network anywhere in the house instantly

not necessarily the best/cheapest powerline networking out there, but website has some good info...

formatting link
left side, under simple connections.... salesspeak NETGEAR Powerline products for Simple Connections extends Internet access to any existing power outlet.

point is the phone works off wireless *OR* wired ethernet (from tech specs connection requirements)

Connection Requirements

RJ-11 analog telephone jack

Broadband Internet connection (RJ-45 wired Ethernet or 802.11 B/G/N wireless Ethernet)

120V AC power

point is think wired instead of wireless, and it/phone needs ac power, so will be somewhere near an ac outlet, so why not get both power aand wsired ethernet from the ac plug?

you can even get starter kits on amazon (two units needed, one at each end) $74.63

formatting link

Reply to
Peter Pan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.