wireless router and VPN server

Hello,

I am looking for a cheap wireless router that could be setup as a VPN server for DSL cable broadband (Virgin in UK). Any suggestion?

Regards

Reply to
mans
Loading thread data ...

"mans" hath wroth:

What kind of VPN server? PPTP, IPSec, L2TP, or proprietary.

I've been using DD-WRT firmware on various supported routers:

with PPTP. I mostly use it between two routers to form a common network, but also for logging in from remote locations:

Configuration can be fairly trivial, or can be seriously ugly depending on what you want to do.

Cheap would be about $50-$70 retail for the router. The new firmware is free.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 10:26:21 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote in :

PPTP is seriously flawed and shouldn't be used if possible. Use OpenVPN (SSL based) or IPSec instead. See:

• formatting link
    formatting link
    formatting link
Reply to
John Navas

John Navas hath wroth:

Y'er right, but PPTP is good enough for my tinkering. To break into my router to router PPTP VPN, one would need to sniff the traffic, capture MSCHAP tokens, and decrypt the 128 bit encryption in one's spare time. That can be done, but not easily, as none of the link is wireless. It's also fairly tedious.

What I should have suggested is the VPN version of DD-WRT, which includes OpenVPN:

I must admit that I've only tried this version once, and then only briefly. (Yet another project).

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 11:43:42 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote in :

Dangerous assumption -- today's tedious often becomes tomorrow's easy and fast, and you really have no way of knowing that tomorrow hasn't already happened.

Yep.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.