Wireless puzzler...NIC will send, *not* receive

I have a homebrew PC with a DLink DWL-G510 wireless NIC. This PC suffered from an OS corruption problem earlier this week, and I'm in the final stages of getting it back on it's feet - a WinXP Pro box w/SP2.

With the OS now back on its feet and happy, I'm down to the last step - getting this blasted NIC working.

The problem is that with a good signal and an apparent connection message from the card's management utility, it will not receive

*anything* from the network. I have used the manufacturer's configuration utility AND MS WZC to configure the WEP encryption key multiple times to no avail (and this key works properly for the other wireless clients using this network). The network shows up in the card utility's site survey app on the proper channel with encryption turned on, but so far it will send, but still not receive.

I've verified that the Windows Firewall is turned off; the machine has no antivirus or other programs (it's used primarily as a DVR), it can ping itself, and the routing table is correct (proper outbound routes, etc). But nothing ever comes back; pings time out (names are never resolved and hard IP addy's just time out), tracerts never make it to the gateway, names never get resolved by my DNS server, so something is obviously still wrong.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the card drivers, verified that my external firewall isn't (via some sort of weird misconfiguration) seeing and dumping packets from this box, and verified that it is getting the proper IP address -- and all is as it should be.

I'm beginning to wonder if the antenna itself is physically broken; but it would seem that idea is less likely given that it tells me it has established a connection. Given that all other wireless clients in this network are functioning perfectly, and I've checked what I know to check several times, I'm afraid I'm at the head-scratching point. I'd love to find out it was something stupid I've just overlooked.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be most appreciative.

Thanks intrepid

Reply to
Loading thread data ...

Try this: open TCP/IP properties of the wireless connection, Advanced button, Options tab, TCP/IP Filtering properties. Verify that Filtering is not enabled, and if enabled, set all ports/protocols to Permit All and not Permit None.

Reply to

On 12 Jun 2006 11:49:57 -0700, intrepid snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in :

It *tries* to send, like talking out loud when you're alone. ;)

Try it with encryption turned off temporarily.

p.s. Strongly advise using WPA instead of WEP, which is easily cracked.

Reply to
John Navas


Thanks for the tip.

I originally tried to configure all my wireless clients to use WPA, but the version of the firmware for my router that supported WPA is buggy and never worked correctly. I was more or less forced back to WEP. I certainly appreciate the relative "hackability" of it, but given that there are a minimum of five other wide-open networks in the area that show up on my laptop's site-survey, I suspect those provide an open door where mine at least has a chain-lock... :)

Thanks again,

-> On 12 Jun 2006 11:49:57 -0700, intrepid snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in > :

Reply to

WEP has been demonstrated to be able to be cracked, at 64 bit, within 3 minutes by a US Govt agency not all that many years ago.

Reply to
Diamontina Cocktail

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.