wireless phone, fax and internet

Hi, I've just built a study in my shed and have all my musical gear and computer out here. I've set up a wireless router and network card to handle the internet side, but I'd also like to have the phone and fax out here (two separate pstn numbers). Is there a way I can get them out here without running wires?

TIA

Brett

Reply to
Electric Monk
Loading thread data ...

Two VoIP units.

Sipura SPA3000

formatting link
Linksys used to resell it with their own package branding, but still called it the SPA300. Unfortunately Linksys no longer sells it as I haven't seen it on their website.

Whatever VoIP devices you get, they have to have both an FXS and FXO port.

Reply to
DTC

Actually FOUR units...a pair for each line. You can get by with just two, one at each end, but that involves more hardware.

Reply to
DTC

It can of course be done with wireless , but run the wires , overhead or underground will cost very little and is at least reasonably secure .

Reply to
atec 77

Obviously you have electric out there... In my shed I used phone over the power line (about $60 see

formatting link
) You can set the codes via dip switches, and have multiple phone lines over one powerline

Reply to
Peter Pan

Well, I was hoping for wireless electricity too! I've heard about computer networking over electricity circuit before. It's an interesting approach, I'll have to check with them to see if a) it will work with ADSL, b) if it is approved for use in Australia and c) if there's a way I can get it to work when the shed and the house are on different circuits

thanks!

brett

Reply to
Electric Monk

Works wih the ethernet output of an adsl modem, don't know about B), but for c) the circuits part is where most people get confused.. it's actually the same phase/leg off a transformer/(ships a generator), circuits are what most people think are just on the same breaker/fuse.. Does power to the shed come off the house, or is there a seperate transformer (with it's own meter) feeding it?

Reply to
Peter Pan

"Electric Monk" hath wroth:

See:

for clues and vendors.

No. It only works with ethernet, not the DSL signal. It will bridge the ethernet coming out of the DSL modem to the router, or one of the router ports to your computahs ethernet port.

It's easier to get forgiveness than permission.

Well, HomePlug is sold in Australia, so it must be legal:

etc...

What you want is an X10 "signal bridge" or "passive coupler".

except for 240VAC. There are also amplified couplers and repeaters.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

It doesn't have it's own meter, but it does have it's own breaker/ fuse. There's one for lights, one for power to the east side of the house, one for the west and one for the shed. I contacted the company in the link, but they're Canada only. That doesn't matter, though, it's all technology. If it can be done, there'll be another company over here that does it.

Reply to
Electric Monk

As i understand it, there are many places selling it, I just happen to get it from them and had that link handy (for netgear).. Have anything like smart home in your country? Maybe a search on powerline networking? Think the standard voltage there may be different too At any rate, most people confuse the power leg/phase (usually whatever come off the meter) with the multiple circuits off the breaker panel.. glad to see you got that figgered out... At any rate, been using it for a while and it works great (specially on metal hulled ships were wireless won't), don't have a clue why people are so hesitant to even consider it.

Reply to
Peter Pan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.