Laptop not recognizing wireless card

Hi all, my gf's Compaq laptop doesnt' seem to be recognizing her wireless card. When inserted, the card's "power" led lights, but not the "link" light, and the laptop picks up none of the present signals. The computer just expects her ethernet cable, and I can't figure out what to do to get it to recognize and go with the wireless card (we've tried control panels, some of the wizards, etc.--maybe not the right ones). She's running XP and the card is a "b" card if that makes a difference.

Thanks for direction here,

Rog

Reply to
Roger
Loading thread data ...

I had a similar problem with my laptops using a D-Link PCMCIA adapter. I tried other cards, including another D-Link, and they work fine. I will assume that this paticular D-Link is either bad or not for my older laptops.

Try another card! I will ASSuME that you/she tried installing the software properly. ;-) I think you first install the software and then the card.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 06:41:29 -0500, Roger wrote in :

1. Uninstall any drivers for the card in Add Remove Programs
  2. Uninstall the card in Device Manager
  3. Remote the card
  4. Download the latest drivers from the card manf.
  5. Install the drivers
  6. Insert the card when prompted or after drivers are installed
Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.