Wireless nightmare!

I'm hoping someone can help me in this nighmare of a situation I've gotten myself into.

Ok basically I have 2 laptops, one is connected to my dsl-G624T dlink adsl2 router (hard waired) then my new laptop which was formatted today to put windows xp on and get rid of vista as it doesn't have eough memory to run it. It has a built in wifi card. Ok so format goes well, install of windows xp fine. now install all the drivers for my laptop no problem. Try to get wireless going and it shows my router and lets me connect to it without a key!

It says its an unsecured network. But I have set the WPA up on it on both laptops. But it doesn't ask for the key. I'm connectd on it now.

For 4 hours now I have been trying to get it to ask for the key.

How in gods name do I get my security back ? all I need is my basic WPA and I'm happy.

I'm at your mercy with any help here :)

If theres any more technical info needed please let me know and I'll post up ASAP.

Reply to
soulman_d
Loading thread data ...

The security is actually "setup" on the router. What you do at the laptop end of the link is select the correct router and enter the "key" phrase.

Are you sure that you have WPA security enabled on the wireless link? There is no security on the hardwired connection.

If in fact the wireless security _is_ enabled on your router, then are you sure that the wireless laptop is connected to _your_ router and not a neighbors? Power your router off to verify.

-Jim

Reply to
Jim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.