wireless networking guide

Hi,

I have 2 desktops and 1 laptop. I also have a 4 port hardwired router and I have also have an adsl modem/connection. At present, my network is working perfectly (ie. all computers can access the internet and each other through the router).

My laptop is wireless enabled. So I purchased D-Link access point. I set up WEP security on the access point.

I managed to get the internet and networking to work on my laptop. Unfortunately, my wireless connection on the laptop continually drops out (every minute or so), even when the laptop is placed approx. 1 metre from the access point. Similarly, every time I turn on my laptop, I have to manually connect to the wireless network.

Am I doing something wrong? Can someone recommend an easy step by step guide for setting up the network?

Thanks in advance, Jonny

Reply to
Jon
Loading thread data ...

I keep losing my Wireless Network Connection every 30 seconds or so, even with a strong signal...

Make sure you have 802.1x authentication disabled for your wireless connection.

1. Double Click on your wireless network connection in the system tray
  2. Click on Properties
  3. Click on the Wireless Networks Tab
  4. In the Prefered Networks window, Click on your Network
  5. Click on Properties
  6. Click on the Authentication Tab
  7. Uncheck the box next to Enable IEEE 802.1x authentication for this network
  8. Click OK
Reply to
Robert Jacobs

Even after you followed your own advice below?

Barry

Reply to
Barry OGrady

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.