I have a telephony mystery :-)

I'm in the UK. We have a master phone socket downstairs, and an upstairs extension that taps into the main socket by the use of a splitter plugged into the main socket. The extension plug is an RJ14, but the splitter's socket is an RJ11 (2 pins instead of 4).

On the downstairs socket, we can use a phone, yet on the upstairs one, we can't - we just get no dialtone. But here's the weird thing - the ADSL connection works fine when the modem's plugged into the upstairs socket. Any ideas why that might be? I thought the extra 2 pins on the RJ14 were superfluous when you only have 1 phone line.

Reply to
Jeremy Morton
Loading thread data ...

It sounds like the splitter you are using is a DSL style filter/splitter.

With those one side of the splitter is for use by a telephone and the DSL side of the splitter filters out the audible phone line frequencies but passes the higher frequency DSL signals. That is why a telephone works on the phone side and your upstairs phone won't when it's plugged into the extended DSL side of the splitter.

What you might be able to do is go to the store and purchase a simple phone line splitter, not a DSL style filter/splitter. Plug that in at the main plug in place of the DSL splitter you currently have there.

Then take the DSL splitter upstairs and plug it into the line with the DSL plugged into the "DSL" side of the splitter and the phone into the "phone" side of the DSL splitter.

Others here may have a better suggestion but that is what the internet is for. ;)

Reply to
GlowingBlueMist

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.