wireless network problem

hi a few weeks ago i set up a network for a friend. the network is exactly like mine. i run a laptop and pc with xp home on both, wireless cards both. router used is belkin F5D7230v4 wireless g router. the dsl modem was provided by the ISP. my friend also with the same ISP. while i have no problems connecting to my network with either of the computers, my friend does.

he has same router, same dsl modem. he has 2 laptops- one dell ( no problems with this laptop) and a sony viao (this one has problems). the dell connects with no problem, but the viao has many problems. it keeps loosing the connection. signel strengh is excellent. both laptops under a year old. the connection is stable for a few seconds but then disconnects and reconnects. another info that might be usefull is that the wireless router is set for uk/europe tranmission while the viao was bought in the US. lease time for IP is set to forever.

any help apreciated.

Reply to
cdrakz2000
Loading thread data ...

Sounds like driver software on the Sony, make sure you have the latest drivers for the WiFi in the Vaio from either Sony or (preferably) the chipset maker.

What channel are you using?

Why? Sounds like a poor idea...

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

also tried a brand new pcimia wireless g card (uk) and the same happens with the card

channel 4 or 6 i belive

why is it a bad idea?

the network itself is stable as i can take my laptop to my friends network and connect without any problems

Reply to
cdrakz2000

XP? Is WZC running, or are you using some other client?

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

By any chance, have a USB dongle? (or can you borrow one) Sounds like my vaio... Problem with the built in wireless antenna and dropping/reconnecting (same as what you are experiencing).. I had a spare USB WiFi dongle in my spare box, installed it, worked great, meant to figure out the built in stuff but never got a-round-tuit...:)

Reply to
Peter Pan

On 14 Jul 2006 06:00:24 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@mynow.co.uk wrote in :

Have you tried other channels (e.g., 1 and 11).

Because it makes changes hard. There's no good reason to make leases terribly long -- DHCP is designed to renew seamlessly.

Are your two machines in the same location, or different locations?

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.