Wireless G PCI Adapter 54MPBS 2.4GHz works in Europe?

I am thinking of buying this Linksys adapter, which covers (802.11b and g), but I will be moving to Europe soon - Spain-Portugal area.

Is this 2.4 GHz band also available in that part of Europe and in UK and Ireland?

TIA

rf

Reply to
RedFox
Loading thread data ...

Yes except that if you buy in the US and then come to the UK, you might be unable to connect if the AP is on channel 13 or 14 which the US card/drivers/firmware won't let you connect to as that regulatory domain doesn't permit these channels.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Thank you David for the alert.

I'll check into it.

rf

Reply to
RedFox

I just found a very interesting Cisco web site - about Aironet:

formatting link
It mentions channels 1 through 14 and the US, Japan, China, EMEA????..... but not Europe, unless EMEA, which I have never heard of, is related to Europe.

There is also info about a World Wide Mode

"Enabling and Disabling World-Mode When you enable world mode, the access point adds channel carrier set information to its beacon. Client devices with world mode enabled receive the carrier set information and adjust their settings automatically. For example, a client device used primarily in Japan could rely on world mode to adjust its channel and power settings automatically when it travels to Italy and joins a network there. World mode is disabled by default."

which mentions Italy - in Europe.

There is another page at:

formatting link
which is similar to the above but mentions only 13 channels.

Can you help decipher what is going on?

tia

rf

Seems like I have a blind spot somewhere.

Reply to
RedFox

EMEA = Europe, Middle East & Africa.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

EMEA????.....

Thank you David. Is there anything you don't know :-)

rf

Reply to
RedFox

inappropriate flattery, way too much that I don't know. I just happen to work in EMEA ;)

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Great to find a person who knows where he is :-)

rf

Reply to
RedFox

Well I can narrow it down a bit more if pushed ;)

Reply to
David Taylor

Does virtualearth.msn.com "locate me" work in EMEA? Kinda spooky.

Reply to
dold

Yes it does but it shows the whole county rather than my office in the house which is a little disappointing I think. :)

Reply to
David Taylor

It should have sprouted a popup that said you were located by IP address, which might be your ISP, or it just defaults to the center of the country, although it picked up the right country ;-)

I think it works via a couple of databases. The cleanest is a table of WAP MAC addresses that has apparently been entered somewhere, although I've never heard of it.

Another is a compilation of what searches have been done originating from particular IP addresses, with an assumption that most zip-code-based searches are local.

Near my work, an open WAP pinpoints the location exactly. The fact that it is a wireless company probably lends itself to solution #1, a deliberate entry into some database.

Reply to
dold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.