Wireless G and N together?

Hi. I want to upgrade my network so I get better connectivity to the basement in my house, so I was thinking of going to N. However, my wife's laptop has an internal G card.

I have a Linksys WRT54G router that I use now. Can I get a N router and "chain" it together with the G router and use both in exclusive (N or G) mode at the same time on the same network?

Thanks.

Ed

Reply to
tango
Loading thread data ...

Yes, however, in many situations it's really silly, and you will probably have to reverse what you wanted to do above.. Have a wrt300n and a wrt54g (router part plugged into the router part of the 300n, do NOT use the wan input on the wrt54g.. Different SSID and different channel, and turn off the dhcp server - to eliminate conflicts).. Did it that way as a test, and now use netgear powerline networking to provide a remote connection to my router from anywhere with power (like now that it's warm, got the old thing in the sunroom, so I can lay on the hammock in the backyard and surf)

Reply to
Peter Pan

To clarify what Peter is saying: A good solution is to connect a powerline networking module to your main router, whichever it is and plug that into the wall. Then, down in the basement plug in another module and use that to: a) connect directly to a single computer b) connect to a 2nd router for multiple computers

Alternatively, Netgear powerline has a module with wifi so you can just plug it in wherever and connect various wifi devices to it. I doubt the range will be as good as a router with an external antenna, but it may be fine for the basement.

Another alternative is to pair a Netgear module that has multiple ethernet ports ( the standard module only has one) to connect multiple wire pcs to it.

First question is: do you want to connect more than one pc in the basement? Second: do you want to connect by wireless in the basement or is ethernet (from a local powerline module) fine?

Buying a second router may not be even be necessary.

Steve

Reply to
seaweedsteve

Thanks, guys. I wasn't even aware of these powerline connections.

I have a couple of questions:

I've had trouble in my house with X10 devices working reliably. Am I likely to face these same issues (whatever they are, maybe A vs B side) with these devices?

The speed of this connection seems slow. Here's what I saw at:

formatting link
The bandwidth of the HomePlug power-line spec is 14Mbps, but networking overhead and noise on your electrical wiring is apt to result in a substantially lower throughput rate. In CNET Labs' Chariot tests, the XE102 was only able to achieve throughput rates below

4Mbps, which is still faster than many home broadband Internet connections can deliver, so you won't notice a hit on Web traffic or e- mail, but it's much slower than its leading competitor, the Siemens SpeedStream power-line Ethernet adapter and far slower than the leading wireless products based on 802.11g and 802.11a technologies.

CNET Labs' Chariot throughput tests (Longer bars indicate better performance) WPC55AG 802.11a

20.6 WPC55AG 802.11g 17.9 WPC55AG mixed 7.6 Siemens SpeedStream power-line Ethernet adapter 5.8 Linksys PLUSB10 2.0 5.2 Siemens power-line access point 4.9 Netgear XE102 3.5 Note: Throughput in Mbps

So, am I back to the original idea? Peter, why do you feel it is silly? Does it not work? Is it complicated?

Thanks.

Ed

Reply to
tango

No No No, the recommendation was for NETGEAR powerline adapters, *NOT* the el cheapo and incredible slow x10's.... The netgears do up to 85Mbps (way faster than the 14's from x10)... (they do have a 200Mbps model, however you need Gigabit ethernet to go that fast, and very few homes have gigabit, heck I'm a geek and don't even have that!) again, here's the link(s), for the ethernet adapters (to tie two ap's together)

formatting link
the adapter with it's own ap (plug it in anywhere and have an instant connection)
formatting link
Don't know what the price is for the x10 model, but the netgear ones are at best buy and staples for about $125 (thats for two, you need a pair)

The caveat/hedge was cuz although it seems to work for *almost* everything I tried (two ap's connected via powerline) , there was one specific pda (dell xv51) that didn't like it, and the new apple phones (with wifi) I haven't tried yet, so there may be some possibility certain devices won't all work.

Reply to
Peter Pan

tango hath wroth:

formatting link

No. X10 is a one way protocol with no error correction mechanism. Send a burst of data and pray it arrives. It's also concentrated in the 120Khz region, which is very polluted from switching power supplies. The various power line networking systems work very differently. They use broadband RF techiques at about 2-60MHz. The later versions avoid any occupied frequencies and are loaded with error correcting and handshaking protocols.

The xe102 is old technology. Look for the later 85Mbits/sec variety.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

The silly idea is a misinterpretation/misreading of the statement...... It specifically says "in many situations it is silly", and then I specifically said why, in what you asked/posted, it fits into the silly situations "Yes, however, in many situations it's really silly, and you will probably have to reverse what you wanted to do above.."... If you read the whole thing, and simply reverse what your post said, it will work fine and not be silly (IMO)

Reply to
Peter Pan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.