wireless card remote power on comptuer

s p a m t i m e @ n t l w o r l d . c o m (__spc__) wrote in news:ef7Gf.9718$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe3-gui.ntli.net:

My IBM R51 with XP Pro, an Intel 2200BG card and IBM's (Lenovo's) "Access Connections" hooks up again without a hitch. It takes just a few seconds, not nearly so long as it takes to get its act together when booting.

I guess it's probably no different from what would happen if I used the connection manager to disconnect and then re-connect.

Reply to
Bert Hyman
Loading thread data ...

It re-does the TKIP handshake, probably from the beginning. It's not that you can't do it when the laptop is powered up, it's that it's (ahem) difficult to do when you are powered down and someone wants to send you a WOL packet.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

snipped-for-privacy@compusmiths.com (William P.N. Smith) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Yeah, I can see how that might be a problem.

But, if the card was powered up enough to receive the packet, does the fact that the link is encrypted enter into the equation at all? Would the card recognize that the message was for it, and be able to see what kind of message it was?

Reply to
Bert Hyman

Umm, yes. My point is that the key expires after 5 minutes, and unless you are in constant contact with the AP you'll miss the key exchange and be unable to receive the WOL packet.

[Unless they do something like send WOL unencrypted or don't change the key if the AP can't handshake a new one with the client, or something like that.]
Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.