remote site battery power only

have any of you professionals ever installed a remote site that has no hydro power? what could be done to power the alarm system from 12DC power

Reply to
terry
Loading thread data ...

ELK Products makes a self-contained alarm system designed for non-powered locations such as construction sites. It's called ELK-Guard. It runs about

90 days without power so you'll need to recharge its batteries periodically. Here's a link:
formatting link
Reply to
Robert L Bass

Would a large enough solar panel/battery setup have the power to run a typical automotive inverter?

Would a typical automotive inverter have enough power to run a panel? I hear the wattage ratings on them are usually a random number way above what they'll actually do.

Would it all be reliable?

Reply to
CH®IS

Ness makes that not Elk

Reply to
mleuck

No Yes No

Reply to
mleuck

Yes, I have done several with solar and cellular. In Az 60 watts is enough. Some places could use more.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

If its large if enough... YES.

The big key I have run into on remote sites is battery capacity. About 30 AH handles a decent alarm and cellular with no outages. If lots of devices I might go with a little more battery, but 30 AH is usually more than enough.

Like I said in my other post I have done a number of remote sites on solar. You can't skip on your solar panel or your batteries though. I do not use usually use an inverter. Inverters waste energy. I just got straight to the batteries with a charge controller.

By experimentation I found a 33 watt solar panel to be just barely inadequate, but a 60 watt panel does the trick with no issues here in Az. In northern climates it would fail in the winter due to shorter daylight hours, and of course snow could be an issue.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Something tells me the OP isn't wanting to put that much time, energy and money into it

Reply to
mleuck

You don't need an inverter. If you put battery leads across the 16VAC input, most alarm panels will work. Come to think of it, 24VDC panels will too. It's how guys like Jim get around putting a DSC panel in a boat with no genset.

You don't need an inverter.

Batteries need to get charged. A good solar cell would probably do that. Or you could go with one of those "honkin' big" deep cycle batteries and charge the sucker about once every two weeks.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Probably, but with an honest answer they can make that decision. I have some very good clients who spend a lot of money with me because I try to think about their issues and give them the best information I can.

P.S. I just installed a system in a site that had an old Monitronics labeled panel. (You want it back?) I was all prepared to be impressed. The installer had fished a contact down inside the aluminum frame of a glass door frame. Very nice. Contact was inside the header totally concealed, and the mag was glue in place in the top of the door. Then I walked to the back and they stabled the wire down the wall (crookedly) and stuck a surface mount directly to the steel door and frame. Oh, well. I guess I was only half impressed. LOL.

Half the site look like it was done by a high end installer who cared, and half looked like it had been done by a lick and stick hack.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Naaa I got plenty :)

Reply to
mleuck

Sure, but photovoltaic systems are expensive.

Absolutely, but most of them draw a lot of current.

Probably not. What if the area experiences a long period of cloudy weather?

Reply to
Robert L Bass

The OP is in Canada. In all probability, weather will hinder a photovoltaic solution. They get long periods of cloud cover during the winter. Depending on what part of Canada he's in, there may be periods with no sun for weeks at a time.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Now that's depressing.

Reply to
Frank Olson

I've read they don't need direct sunlight, so they still work with cloud cover. Snow is a different issue, I wonder if they make them with built-in heaters to keep the snow/ice off?

Reply to
G. Morgan

The latter must have been Leuck's work :-)

Reply to
G. Morgan

water power?

and it's more expensive than you think it will be

Reply to
Crash Gordon

It's a Canadian thing.... don't ask. :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

The Canuks call electric providers "Hydro", presumably because they think all the power comes from hydro-electric dams.

I wonder what they call water lines? Or killer weed?

Reply to
G. Morgan

I envisioned a Lynx panel with a water wheel attached to it.

Reply to
Crash

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.