wireless card remote power on comptuer

HI.

I have a netgear WGR614 at home.

formatting link
Now can anyone suggest any wireless card that allow remote power on my computer at home?

thx in advance.

Reply to
dav
Loading thread data ...

You want wireless Wake On Lan? Doesn't exist...

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

William P.N. Smith hath wroth:

It most certainly does exist in both access points and wireless clients. |

formatting link
"The Wake-On-LAN feature allows the convenience of turning on your PC from anywhere on the internet, anytime."

The common ADM8211C wireless controller chip supports Wake-on-LAN. |

formatting link
So does the SIS163 controller chip.

Atheros calls theirs "Wake on Wireless".

Intel Pro2200BG supports what they call "Wake on WLAN" allegedly used to "allows remote wake up of mobile clients to perform software updates".

Some wireless PCI cards have WOL features. |

formatting link
"Wake on LAN, a desktop PC remote management feature, is supported. The 11b PCI Adapter can be set to constantly monitor the wireless LAN even when the desktop PC is switched off. The PC will boot up to enable remote management when the 11b PCI Adapter receives a Magic Packet."

The problem is that Magic Packet (a broadcast) will propogate nicely on the LAN side of a router. However, it will not go through the router from the internet to the LAN, which is what most people want do do. I don't know how to do that. However, if you setup a VPN from a client to a router, the client appears as if it were on the LAN side and Magic Packet again works.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

True, but isn't the VPN only active when the VPN software is running on the client?

Unless you want to use something like a Netscreen hardware client between the router and the client, to keep the VPN connection open.

You could always buy something like "

formatting link
" However not all BIOSes and motherboards allow setting them to power-up the computer upon AC power being applied. I worked on this issue with thin clients, and it was a nightmare. It wasn't just powering up upon AC power, it was powering up upon AC power, only if the unit was powered up prior to the AC power being removed. Some south bridges support this, some south bridges don't support it at all.

Worst case, you could kluge something to the power supply power-on line, to simulate the power button being pushed or use the RPS-ATX Computer System Reboot Device (see "

formatting link
" at the bottom of the page), and combine it with the device at ""
formatting link
".

Reply to
SMS

Hunh, who would have thunk it? I wouldn't think a laptop that was powered down would be feeding standby power to it's WiFi hardware to let it look for WOL, and encryption (especially WPA-TKIP) would be another nightmare...

Just go to show there are no absolutes! Thanks, Jeff!

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

I've never seen a laptop that could do this but it's possible. Usually on laptops everything gets shut off when power is off, in order to save the battery, and the wireless card would not be left on, as it's one of the biggest battery hogs.

Plenty of desktops have PCI slots that will work with network cards that support WOL.

Reply to
SMS

snipped-for-privacy@compusmiths.com (William P.N. Smith) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I don't know about the standby power business, but my laptop recovers a WPA-TKIP connection just fine when manually brought out of standby or hibernate.

Reply to
Bert Hyman

The op is looking for a laptop that keeps the wireless card on, looking at packets, and powers-up or wakes-up the system upon receipt of a specific packet. Not looking for recovery of the network connection when the laptop is powered up manually.

Reply to
SMS

Nope. I have a router to router PPTP VPN between my palatial office and my house. WRT54G v3 at the office. WRT54G v1.1 at home. PPTPclient installed: |

formatting link
's not up right now because I've loaned the WRT54G v1.1 to a hacker, but when it's working, both ends look like one big network.

However, it's been a while since I've tried WOL over a VPN. It worked once at a customers using a pair of Linksys BEFVP41 VPN routers but I don't recall trying it on my own VPN.

Test software: |

formatting link
(DOS command line) |
formatting link

Netcreen (Juniper) 5GT with IPSec is what I would prefer instead of my WRT54G pair running PPTP. However, PPTP is *MUCH* simpler to setup.

Network power switches:

formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
(and lots more...) I used to use an ethernet print server to play power switch. The parallel port was connected to an EPROM and a triac. Send a character to the print server and it turns the triac on. Send a different characater and it turns it off.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

formatting link

1. Does Wake-On-LAN work with laptops? This depends on the configuration for the laptop. Laptops are usually configured to not respond to wakeup packets when they are running on batteries. If the laptop is running on mains and not battery power then the wakeup should work as on a standard PC.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I know, but he was also questioning the ability to resume a WPA-TKIP session from a powered-down state.

Reply to
Bert Hyman

Very creative. The parallel port is your friend.

Reply to
SMS

Not with wireless. It's basically unheard of for the Mini-PCI slot to be powered when the unit is off. Personally I've never seen a laptop where even the on-board wireless could be configured to W.O.L. but it's possible that one exists. Also, remember that there is a big difference between W.O.L. or W.O.R. and remote power-up.

Reply to
SMS

Yeah, but not very reliable. Milan/Digi 3000(?) print server. I had a spare IP address so I just connected it to the internet with nothing in between. Send the characters to my favorite IP socket number with Netcat, and it does the power switch thing. The EPROM had 8 outputs and I used them all for various functions. I like simple protocols.

That worked great until some port scanner found the print server and started pounding on it looking for vulnerabilities. This particular installation also controlled the tower lights on a radio site. The residents near the site were wondering about the light show. I hid it behind NAT and a firewall, and it's been switching reliably ever after.

Handy list of print server models and port numbers:

formatting link
you wanna do it thyself.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

SMS hath wroth:

Ummm... I don't think he mentioned a laptop. He said: "Now can anyone suggest any wireless card that allow remote power on my computer at home?" I think we're suppose to guess what type of computer he has at home.

This looks interesting. A web relay:

formatting link
$100

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

This would be perfect. Since the pulse length of the relay can be programmed, you can hook it in parallel with the computer's power-button, so you don't have to try to power-on-upon AC power, which isn't an option on all machines.

You could even give it a pulse length of four seconds for a hard power-off. Back in the days of Windows 3.1/DOS, I was up at Gateway in South Dakota and one of the engineers was telling me that the number one call to technical support was "how do I turn my computer off?" The Microsoft specified four-second hold to turn off the machine was to prevent accidental power-down, but customers weren't reading the manual. Finally they stuck big stickers on the keyboard explaining how to power-down.

Reply to
SMS

My toshiba laptop won't WOL, but it does power on from standby or shutdown, and recover WPA sessions just fine. Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Actually, I was questioning the ability for a laptop that was powered-down to keep a TKIP network alive enough to receive the WOL packet. You'd have to wake up every 5 minutes and do the key-exchange handshake again...

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

snipped-for-privacy@compusmiths.com (William P.N. Smith) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

So, when I suspend my laptop (or go into hibernation) and start it up again later, how does it re-establish the link? It doesn't ->look like it's doing anything special (like it does during an ordinary boot), but is something going on behind the scenes?

Reply to
Bert Hyman

I find this - when my laptop goes into hibernation or standby, on resume, the WiFi connection is lost. I have to repair the connection every time...

Reply to
__spc__

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.