Wireless bridge + switch. (client mode router)

I have a DLink DI-624 wireless router which was provided by my ISP. They use PPPoE and hard code the settings into the router, so I can't really replace it with anything else.

I need to get a few other devices connected, and none of them have wireless adapters. (Xbox, Cable box with ethernet capability, media server, etc.)

So, as far as I can tell my options are:

1. Spend a day running cables through my attic

1. Get a wireless bridge to attach to the DLink, and another for each "non-wireless" device. (would that even work?)

2. Get one bridge to attach to the DLink and one for all of the other devices. Attach the 2nd bridge to an ethernet switch and attach the wired devices to the switch.

1. Find some other product (which I have not been able to find but I'm sure must exist) that will act as a bridge and switch combined.

Option 4 seems the easiest but as I said I don't know what device to get. Basically I need a wireless router that can be configured as a client on my existing wireless network and can be connected to multiple wired devices. My research on google has suggested that such a device exists, but I can not find anything definitive.

Any product suggestions?

Thanks.

Reply to
ggalloway
Loading thread data ...

[SNIP]

If I am understanding your situation, I think I am doing exactly what you want to do. I have a Linksys WAP54g as my primary wireless access point (installed behind the Speedstream DSL modem that my ISP provided). At the other end of the house, that box bridges (802.11G) to a Netgear WGE101 Wireless Ethernet Bridge, which I then run into a Linksys 10/100 5-port workgroup Ethernet switch. I bought this equipment about a year ago, and it has worked flawlessly ever since.

I learned that there are two popular classes of "Ethernet Bridge". You want the type that is known as a "Workgroup Bridge" so you can attach an Ethernet switch behind it for fan-out. You'll pay a bit more for that type. The other type (I forget the marketing buzz-word for it) will refuse to work with multiple MAC addresses, so there's no point in attempting fan-out with a hub or switch.

I hope this helps!

-Bob Bosen-

formatting link
(Instructional Videos for people with work to do)

Reply to
Bob Bosen

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.