Wireless Access Point Question

I am a part time IT guy at a real estate company and i am still in school for this stuff so bare with me here if you can.

I have a network that is growing and i have no more open ports on the switches on the rack. I had the idea of installing a wireless access point which is only going to be used for a few users that need access to the domain, its files and printers. We also have a Netvanta 2504 VPN Router that we use for our VoIP Phones from the different properties. There are 3 open ports left on the back of the Netvanta. My question really is can i hook up the wireless access point to the back of one of those open ports on the netvanta? I just need the users to have internet, domain login access, files on the server and printing access and thats it. Is this going to work?

Reply to
Chris.Backer
Loading thread data ...

On 13 Jun 2006 22:19:24 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

If you need more wired ports, just buy and cascade an inexpensive network switch (or hub).

Yes.

Yes. They will be bridged to the wired network, just as if they were wired to it. Just be careful to use robust encryption on your wireless (WPA with strong passphrase) so that you're not opening your network up to others as well. See the wealth of information below.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.