chewing my arm off!!!!

I think I am going mad. I have bought my wifey a new pc and got it hooked up wirelessly to the pc upstairs. using airlink router and pci card w/ broadband. at first it was extremely weak then I moved the router and new pc around until I found a decent line. Its great signal (54 Mbits) when you don't use it but as soon as you start going on the web or trying to download e-mail it bogs down terribly(all the way down to 28 or nil). I have gone through the settings in several different configs to no avail (not that I really know what the hell I'm doing)...any ideas. It's DHCP, set to 802.11 B & G mix (for my son's PSP) even though both hardware is G capable.

is it normal for it to bog down like this?

Thanks

Reply to
lucky(one)
Loading thread data ...

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 20:23:12 -0400, "lucky\\(one\\)" wrote in :

Yes (although 28 should still be more than fast enough). You're apparently going through floors, which really cuts down the signal, and wireless antennas work much better horizontally than vertically. Try orienting them horizontally. You also might have interference problems. See the links below.

Reply to
John Navas

WOW! thanks for the rapid response and good info links. also how much signal does one need to play a game like BF2, when I get on and play this I keep getting bad signal msg's?

Thanks again

Reply to
lucky(one)

and does the amount of content necessarily change the signal strength?

Reply to
lucky(one)

not to rattle on....but the horizontal position of the antenii improved the signal a bunch

Reply to
lucky(one)

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 20:32:03 -0400, "lucky\\(one\\)" wrote in :

There is no rigid rule.

Might be weak signal. Might also be interference.

Reply to
John Navas

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 20:33:36 -0400, "lucky\\(one\\)" wrote in :

It has no effect on signal strength -- you just notice any problems more.

Reply to
John Navas

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 20:43:07 -0400, "lucky\\(one\\)" wrote in :

That's because it changed the gain pattern from horizontal to vertical.

Reply to
John Navas

Reply to
lucky(one)

That speed test was made for a dialup modem. Please find another. Looks like Insight Broadband doesn't have a local speed test, so try one of these:

formatting link
any case an online speed test is NOT a good test for wireless preformance. The problem is that you're measuring the speed of the broadband connection, not that of the wireless connection. To do the wireless, you need to use a CAT5 ethernet connected computah to use as a benchmarking server. The speed is that of copying files between this computah and your wireless connected computer. The assumption is that the CAT5 ethernet connected computer network speed is faster than that of the wireless. I suggest using Iperf for the purpose:
formatting link
It would be nice if you would kindly disclose the maker and model numbers of your wireless hardware. I don't like doing guesswork.

What you're seeing is rather common. The way some wireless routers work is that when you're NOT sending any data, it displays a maximum speed (54MBit/sec) connection speed. (Note that the router is what controls the speed, not the client). That makes sense because with no data moving, there are no errors, therefore the wireless can run at maximum speed.

However, as soon as you start moving data, the errors appear, and the access point slows down the system in a heroic attempt to reduce the errors. It would be a bad idea to have it permanently stuck at some slower speed, so as soon as you stop sending data, the errors disappear, and full speed is again achieved.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Hmmm.... This looks familiar. Do you have a Webstar modem? http://70.86.166.114/images/help/webstar_modem/WebstarModemReboot.pdf

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

no it's airlink on both ends...I'll post the specifics when I get off work.

What I did with the speed test was load that page from both pc's and the one upstairs with the main hookup was 3 times faster.

Reply to
lucky(one)

On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 04:48:31 -0400, "lucky\\(one\\)" wrote in :

Probably weak signal and/or interference.

Reply to
John Navas

"lucky\\(one\\)" hath wroth:

That's a rather crude test but effective in this case. The upstairs machine will be limited by the speed of the DSL connection.

Which InsightBB service level do you have? 256Kbits/sec,

1.5Mbits/sec, 4Mbits/sec, or 6Mbits/sec???

However, the wireless connection would need to be fairly slow and lossy to be 3 times slower than one of these speeds. I agree with John, weak signal or interference are the probable causes. List of probable interference sources and remdial hints:

formatting link
If you manage to eliminate the weak signal and/or interference, you should get at least the same speed as the upstairs machine as 802.11g thruput is usually much faster than DSL. I suggest you drag the wireless machine close to the wireless access point, try your benchmark (or get a better benchmark) test again. That has to work correctly or there is something wrong with the hardware, drivers, antennas, local RF interference, etc. Then, move the machinea around and watch the signal level, S/N ratio, etc. At some point, it will be slower than your DSL. That's your range limit. Any farther and you will need to try replacement higher gain antennas or reflectors.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

hmmm, well, thank you both very much. helpful stuff.

Reply to
lucky(one)

TRy "fixing" the speed of the connection at he PC end using the utlity software. That way it won't change speeds and add huge lag to the game during play.

Even 1Mbps speed will work fine.

Reply to
Doz

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 10:20:17 +0100, Doz wrote in :

Except in ad hoc networks, speed is controlled by the access point, not the PC.

If speed is getting down that low, something is so seriously bad that it probably won't be fine.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.