win98SE and Belkin card

I have a linksys wirelessg router, a PC running windows 98SE and a belkin f5d 7000 wirless card for the PC installed and working properly according to the device manager. i have installed the necessary drivers (I believe) and still the card cannot connect to the router. I had encryption on the router set to 128 bit and was told by Belkin support that the card was not compatible. I lowered it to 64 and still it is not viewing any wireless networks. Short of disabling security altogether, any suggestions?

Reply to
Mike
Loading thread data ...

"Mike" hath wroth:

Linksys model number?

First turn off encryption and see if it works.

Then, use the Hex WEP key, not the ASCII WEP key. Different manufacturers have different creative ideas on how to convert from ASCII to Hex.

All Linksys 802.11g router and the Belkin F5D7000 card support WPA encryption, which is what you should be using instead of WEP. WEP is easily cracked.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

You should have read the fine print (on Belkins support site):

formatting link
(F5D7000 Manual-English (WPA Addendum) P34415 6/11/2003 71.74 Kbytes)

Unfortunately WPA is only supported on Windows XP - with the Microsoft suppicant. Some third party supplicants that will enable WPA do work with Win98. Buffalo's Client Manager 2 (v2.1) works with F5D7010 cards and W2K and should work with W98SE. I haven't tried it with my F5D7000 card. Also, McAfee has a supplicant that might also work with the card and provide WPA encryption unde W98SE.

Reply to
Axel Hammerschmidt

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.