WiMAX downlink bandwidth requests from a subscriber/mobile station?

Any WiMAX gurus here? I am reading the standards

formatting link
and

formatting link
and I have a couple of books and course materials from Mprirical and Award, but I can not make sense to this:

Bandwidth requests and grants are always discussed in uplink bandwidth context. So how does a station request for more _downlink_ bandwidth?

Yours, Anssi Porttikivi snipped-for-privacy@iki.fi

Reply to
app
Loading thread data ...

A quick google

"For the downlink, the BS can allocate bandwidth to each MS, based on the needs of the incoming traffic, without involving the MS."

Reply to
LR

Ok, thank you! So I think I begin to see than BW requests are not for QoS, they are just there to provide information about incoming data for the BS UL scheduler. And this info is already naturally available for BS DL scheduler.

So how does the MS get guaranteed DL bandwidth? Must you just ask it in the QoS specs in the MS initiated DSA-REQ message? Or maybe you hope it is in the pre-provisioned network side QoS that you have to settle with, activated with the BS initiated DSA-REQ?

Reply to
app

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.