WiFi woes

New to WiFi but have managed to connect at various WiFi sites. Problem is, when I use my mail program (Eudora) or even WinVN, it is unable to connect as I would be able to do if I use my dial up connection (Worldnet). Don't understand what difference it make how you get on the internet, should't the programs that work with dial up work with WiFi ? ? ? Any advice would sure be appreciated ! Thanks Zork

Reply to
Zork
Loading thread data ...

snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.net (Zork) hath wroth:

I'll assume Windoze XP. Some clue as to your hardware vendors and models would be nice.

Eudora 6 has a built in dialer that if configured, Eudora will try to use instead of the native Winsock interface. Make sure that it can use the default internet connection. You can also foul things up by specifying a network connection in Windoze. Control Panel -> Internet Options -> Connection Select "Never dial...". Then go to "LAN Settings" and uncheck everything.

It's also possible that Worldnet is setup to dial "as needed" which might interfere if you have both a wireless connection to the internet, and Worldnet decides to dial.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Worldnet expects to to access via dial up. there ar settings that need to be changed to get e-mail through a standalone mail program. You should be able to access thier web mail. Thats what i do from wifi connections. try going to

formatting link

Reply to
crazygolfer

----------------------------------------------------------------- If I use WiFi I can connect to Worldnet via

formatting link
with no problem. I can then use their mail retrieval system to view the mail. What I don't understand is why Eudora can't retrieve the mail as always. (I don't use it to dial up, just access mail after connection) Shouldn't the postoffice location be the same ? ? Same problem with WinVn or FSFTP. They seem 'lost' without the normal dialup. Using XP on a HP laptop, dial up modem. Thanks ! Zork

Reply to
Zork

crazygolfer hath wroth:

Duh. That's the right answer. AT&T uses TLS (transport layer security) which is built into their dialer. If you don't use their dialer, you don't have encryption and therefore can't authenticate.

You can enable SSL inside the mailer as described here: |

formatting link
|
formatting link
setting for Eudora 6 and 7 should be similar to the illustrated Eudora 5.1 settings. The trick is to use port 465 for SMTP and 995 for POP3. Also, many email virus scanners will blow up if used with an SSL/TLS connection.

Incidentally, you will also have problems with ftp. See:

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.