USB over IP

I while back, someone asked if a wireless USB extension cable existed. No brains, no protocols, no intelligence, just an extension. There were several possibilities and some science fiction found, but nothing simple or available.

Well, I was trying desperately to reduce my magazine pile today and blundered across this article:

formatting link
formatting link
(PDF version) EDN Magazine "Hands On" project tried to implement a wireless USB extension cable and ran into some interesting problems. Eventually, they got it working but only with an Atmel development system as a termination end. The article explains the trials and tribulations of the exercise.

Add to your acronym collection USBoIP (USB over IP) and NHCI (Network Host Controller Interface). Sigh.

There's an obvious need. Where are the products?

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
Loading thread data ...

I would think timing issues would jump all over something like this. Interesting that it has actually been tried. I didn't want to fire up adobe so didn't read the article, but was wondering (if you recall off hand) what distance they were testing?

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.

Reply to
Rico

rico snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Rico) hath wroth:

(...)

The real problem was that USB is not symmetrical. That also involves timing.

The first HTML link does not require Acrobat, but is a bit cluttered. Be sure to look at the sidebars. The article did not specify any test parameters or results. Only that they were eventually successful.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

what about this:

Reply to
nospam

nospam hath wroth:

It's mentioned in the article. They're the people that invented NHCI. The idea was to make a point to point USB connection via wireless, not build a wireless network of USB devices. The Keyspan device will sorta do this with an added wireless bridge. That's $130 for the Keyspan server, and perhaps $50/ea for the bridge radios. That's a bit much for a wireless USB extension cord. I was hopeing for something simple, like two dongles that talk to each other via wireless.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.