Looking For Decent Free Firewall

I am using the free Avast anti-virus program and Ad-Aware for my personal computer. I use a dial-up ISP. Would installing a firewall be a good idea for me? I do go on the Internet regularly. If so, is there a decent free firewall that's user friendly and easy to use use? I would consider myself an intermediate user (not advanced), so I don't want one that is complicated and assumes the user has much technical knowledge. Any advice would be appreciated. Al

Reply to
Al
Loading thread data ...

formatting link

Reply to
RAID!!!

formatting link

Reply to
RAID!!!

He asked for something which does not assume that the user has much technical knowledge. Comodo is so far from being user friendly in that sense.

Reply to
B. Nice

Just make sure your windows firewall is turned on.

Reply to
B. Nice

I use a router and XP firewal but I played around with Comodo on a friends PC and it seemed simple enough to me.

Reply to
RAID!!!

Al, take a look at free Sygate v5.6--it might fit your needs.

formatting link
Unofficial help site
formatting link
has two parts--click Sygate Basic botton)

Casey

Reply to
Casey

I just uninstalled comodo because it is too complex. It is probably very good. Just too complex for me.

-Pete

Reply to
Pete

Kerio 2.1.5

Reply to
jon

Pro version costs money.$$

Reply to
Pete

Oh please, he wants security, not adding new vulnerabilities!

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

And how does using Windows XP Firewall, which does not warn the user, which allows any application to create exceptions, which often comes installed with many exceptions on branded machines, give one any real security?

Reply to
Leythos

Yes, thats true. In fact, the pro version of most any software costs money.

Reply to
Casey

For pete's sake, get Zone Alarm's freebie.

I've been using it for the past 4-5 years. I keep it updated. It has never let anything bad into my machine.

I have it set to block everything except the software I use and legitimate downloads. Don't allow even your legitimate software to act with server privileges.

It's free. It's easy as hell to set up - just block everything in the beginning, allowing your legitimate software access as you use them for the first time after installing ZA.

You'll go nuts listening to all the 'purists' and fools in here about how absolute, total protection is mandatory and everything else sucks. You ain't perfect and neither will be any of your software, including your firewall.

Get off the pot and install the freebie ZA, and keep it updated. You can then listen to all these fools at your leisure as ZA protects you until you find that "perfect" firewall.

Reply to
George Orwell

No. Just use the Windows-Firewall.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Did they correct the design flaws now?

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Dude, he want's SECURITY, not NEW VULNERABILITIES.

Stupid. It was never supposed to do that, and couldn't do that.

What a nonsense.

Np. You're going nuts with ZA.

And this is your excuse for adding new vulnerabilities?

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

You're talking about Windows XP Firewall? It lets applications enter exceptions without the user being warned, lets outbound connections happen with no real-time monitor showing the connection, etc...

And if the user has file and printer sharing exception, then what good is the Windows XP Firewall? Answer - it's not.

Reply to
Leythos

[...]

... and it's phoning home.

cu

59cobalt
Reply to
Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

George Orwell wrote: [Zone Alarm]

Just measure. It's phoning home. May I ask you to measure first and then to post here?

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.